Win7 takes 15 min to start?

pw2much

[FONT=Arial]Recently my computer has been taking about 15 minutes to start up from the "windows is starting screen to the Login screen and I'm not sure why it's acting this way.does anyone have any idea? It first started when I had a problem trying to view my home groups password! it would not come up at all when I clicked on "view or print home group password" in Network and Sharing,at which time I ran the Home Group Troubleshooter.It automatically switched to Network troubleshooter and said that the: PNRPsvc,the p2psvc and the Peer Networking Grouping service was not running.I tried to re-start it in msconfig>services but couldn't because each svc depends on the other to re-start or run, does anyone have any idea how to repair these services? I also experienced this on my other computer which is the MSI MS-7368 motherbord but not with the slow start-up! Oh! and by the way since then I've done all types of spyware,maleware and virus searches and nothing that has contribute to this issue..[/FONT]

Is your hard drive activity light on during this abnormally long boot? If so, it could just be a coincidence with the networking thing, and you've got a dying hard drive or a loose data cable.

I had took the original c:\ drive out and installed C:\ on a 1TB hard drive and that's the one that's having the boot issues.But I did look inside to see if the HHD light is on and the old drive is still in there so I re-connected it and it boots up fine . but I have to direct all installs to the 1TB hard drive because the old C:\ is full.I can't seem to figure out what else to take off of it to take it out of the red all downloads have been removed all movie files are removed any suggestions on what I should or could remove from the old C:\ drive to take it out of the red?

Check to make sure you don't have something big somewhere on your desktop. You can also move Documents, Music, and Pictures (with Videos, which you say you already did) to the different drive. Change them permanently by going to their properties and changing their location directory.

You could also clone your current small C to the 1TB drive (but before you wipe the small one, make sure the new one boots normally) with something like EaseUs Disk Copy. That way you can continue using your computer without worrying about moving install directories and the like.

FWIW I would perform a clean boot and locate the culprit using the good ole fashioned process of elimination. That is really the only way you will be able to find out what is causing the slow startups unless you just get lucky and stumble across it. I believe the link below is for Xp but, doesn't matter. The procedures are the same regardless.

Finally, while you may have scanned with several scanners if you have not scanned with the right scanners then it's basically useless. Malwarebytes and aswMBR are the two I always start with.

How to perform a clean boot

Slow startup can be a symptom of a virtually full HDD, a failing HDD, or a failing hardware component that starts with windows. You can, with skill, test for those possibilities individually.

As to being unable to clear much, if any, space on the old HDD, you can use a very helpful application called Treesize http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/ That will identify where the most space is taken up, and it can be quite a shock. For example, certain software likes to generate logs of what it is doing, yet never cleans up after itself at regulat intervals. I have seen a case reported on this site of 25GB being in the forms of useless logs !!

[FONT=Verdana]here are many things that can causes the computer to perform slowly, as below:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Many applications are installed
Do not install too much software that is not used, as this will take space on your computer and will disrupt the performance of the computer. If it’s already installed, you can uninstall the program via control panel.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Many junk files
This may often be forgotten by a lot of people, junk files are: file in the Recycle Bin, cookies, browser history, bak files, temporary files etc. These files should be discarded.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Many applications are read during startup
You should not have to put the program icon in the taskbar, because when it startup the system will take a long time to activated the program. This will slow down the computer work.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]The system management is irregular
Perform regular Scandisk to fix hard drive crashes that often result in sudden death litrikor hang. In addition to doing Scandisk, which is not less important is the Defragmentregularly. This is especially useful when high levels of computer use. The files need to be placed properly so that empty space is not cluttered. If space is cluttered file placementcan result in slow computer work.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Shutdown process does not match the procedure
If is often shut down the computer through the Boot, long may cause the operating system does not run normally and hardisk will be damaged (bad sectors). This will aggravate the situation because the system files that exist on a bad sector can not read, so the computer often experience sudden death (hang).
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Try to read other solutions here if anything said above is insufficient http://www.techyv.com/questions/makes-my-computer-startup-very-slow[/FONT]

Expanding a bit on the point well made by sngx1275 ...
A single large file (for example a video, but others get big too) will have this kind of impact...
but... Having your desktop "cluttered" will do so as well.
You "should" have only your most needed shortcuts located on the desktop.
All other files and shortcuts "should" be kept properly "sorted and filed".
I find myself regularly collecting stuff to the desktop all thru the week,
then (at week end), sorting the various files away.
BUT... performance suffers for it.

Back