Win98 Install Problems

By killer_squirrel
Jan 24, 2005
  1. I have an older PC that I got to tinker with and learn on. The OS on it was beyond FUBAR. I read the guide about installing Win98 contained on this site. I did as it said, (Boot from boot disk, run fdisk, delete partition, format hdd, create partiton.) Now I put in the disk that came with the cd-rom containing the drivers and typed install. I followed the instructions and it said it successfully installed. But, now when I put in the Win98 cd and rebbot from the cd-rom it says:

Verfying DMI Pool Data........
    Boot from ATAPI CD_ROM : Failure ...

Invalid system disk
    Replace the disk, and press any key

What do I need to do from here? Like i said i got this PC to "learn" on and I am new to this kinda stuff. Any help and advice you guys can give would be greatly appreciated!

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

You have to start the PC by booting from that floppy (assuming it is a W98-startup-floppy), and select "with CD-Rom support" when asked.
    Then insert your CD, type in: D:\setup and hit enter. (assuming your CD is the D-drive, change to E/F etc. as required).

Any Key means litterally that, ANY key you like, a, v, r, z, Enter-key, whatever
  3. killer_squirrel

killer_squirrel TS Rookie Topic Starter

This is probably dumb,but..... In the BIOS I selected to boot a first and it does. But all it shows is A:
    Now i have been able to fdisk, delete the partition, and format the hdd. But, I saw nothing about CD support. Where is this and where do I go from here??
    BTW.. That quote at the bottom, is supposed to be my signature. But I found out how to do it right. :blush:
  4. RealBlackStuff

Go to and download the file to make a bootfloppy for Windows 98SE.
    This will include the necessary driver for CDrom-support.

If your W98 CD is bootable, set the BIOS to boot from CD rom. After starting, you can then press your famous ANY key when asked.
  5. killer_squirrel

Thanx man! I'll check it out and see if i can get it to work.
  6. killer_squirrel

Quick question. I have a bootdisk that a friend of mine made for me. I used it to "try" to boot this thing. All it says now is "Starting Windows 98," and goes to the A: prompt!I went and downloaded a new one and it won't even boot from it. All it says is "Invalid System Disk Remove Disk And Press Any Key." I don't know what else to try. Any ideas???? :confused:
  7. RealBlackStuff

You will have to RUN that downloaded program to MAKE a bootable floppy.
    Then boot from it with CDrom support.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.