Win98SE and XP Net-not-working!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbie here, so if this has been asked and sorted before - sorry (i have searched :giddy: )

I am trying to extend my network to include my sons Win98SE machine. I have a XP desktop, and XP Laptop which are currently networked via a 8 Port Switch, and apart from not getting the Internet Sharing working again, is working fine.

The problem is with the 98SE machine. All machines can ping each other, the two XP machines see each other but not the 98SE machine, and the 98SE machine cannot even see itself!

When i try and access the network on the 98 machine, it tells me that there is no Network available....

I have run (several times) the network setup disk from the XP Desktop (which has the BB internet connection) on all of the machines, but this still doesn't work.

HELP! :mad: :eek:

Yup!

Work Group is the same. THe frustrating thing is that the basic network connection is there as they can ping each other, but when i try to access the network from the 98SE machine, it says there is no network available!

Any other ideas?

XP pro or XP home??
I would disable the XP firewall ( which is basically useless) create a user account on each machine for the others and rejoin them all to a knew workgroup.

He can ping, so that's not his problem.

Make sure you have something shared on every computer. Even make a test folder and share it.

Make sure the logon you use for Win98 is an account on the XP machine.

NeilP said:
.. and apart from not getting the Internet Sharing working again, is working fine.

The problem is with the 98SE machine. All machines can ping each other, the two XP machines see each other but not the 98SE machine, and the 98SE machine cannot even see itself!

When i try and access the network on the 98 machine, it tells me that there is no Network available....

on w/98se, go to run and enter COMMAND
enter ipconfig /all
and report your findings

also verify the NIC is enabled
go to Control Panel
system->Device Mgr
network adaptors
should NOT have a yellow or red mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back