WIN98Se locks up mouse and keyboard randomly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
My system with WIN98Se has the mouse and keyboard lock up randomly. I have 512 mb of RAM PC133, a Visiontek Xtasy Radeon 9200SE videocard. The video card and hard drive are new, and the DFI CA64-TC motherboard was replaced also. The lock up has occurred with two different motherboards, two different hard drives and two different video cards. The Cpu is a VIA C3 800mHZ. Thanks

Did you reinstall after changing motherboards? If not, your W98 still ahs all the drivers from the original mobo it was installed on, and they will NOT work an a new mobo.
You new mobo has a driver-CD, install those drivers and see how it goes. Update to all current drivers for your hardware, especially the graphics card.

Win98SE mouse locks up

Hi,
I replaced the motherboard with the exact same one under an RMA. The problem remains. The video card has the latest drivers installed. I haven't flashed the BIOS yet since it didn't do anything when I updated the BIOS on the previous motherboard. Since this problem seems to occur thru two video cards, two mobos and two hard drive I have a suspicion that one or more cables may be bad. Just a hunch. The original machine is about 4 years old. I used the same cables when I rebuilt. I'll let you know thanks for your help.

If the problem has ocurred on 2 MBoards it could quite possibly be the mouse itself and or keyboard..

patio. :cool:

See if you can reinstall the mouse-drivers (or replace them with generic W98-drivers).
Check the Regional Options in Control Panel. Change them to another country, then back again, may revive your keyboard.
Check in Control Panel/System/Device Manager for any red/yellow signs. They mean trouble.
Is the cooler properly mounted onto the CPU, the fan working and not dusty?
Are the fan(s) in the powersupply working properly and not dusty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back