WinAMP 5 Beta download

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
I noticed over at Majorgeeks that a beta version of WinAMP 5.0 is publicly available for download. I'm listening to a few songs in the beta player as I post this, remember that 5.0 version is supposed to make up for all terrible mistakes in Winamp3, getting back to the simplicity and speed offered by the good old WinAMP 2 without lacking on features or expandability.

Just a few minutes of use here but at first glance I could be using this over 2.9, nice new skin, too.

Options -> Winamp Pro -> Registration Information :blackeye:

Are they thinking about making it shareware again ? Winamp has been a Shareware for a very short period of time during which I even registered it ( Hey it was only 10$ & it's without a doubt the application I use the most... ).

Other then that, works as well as the Alpha leak & it has a few new options like Conditional title formating ( available in the MAD plug-in ), etc.

Can't wait for the final version.:)

this recent offical beta of winamp5 is really good. winamp5 final is going to be great.

i read on the winamp forums that winamp pro is going to be for people who want faster ripping and cd burning and also mp3 encoding. there are other free programs out there that can do that already (that i use), so i don't think you need to register.

Originally posted by BrownPaper
this recent offical beta of winamp5 is really good. winamp5 final is going to be great.

i read on the winamp forums that winamp pro is going to be for people who want faster ripping and cd burning and also mp3 encoding. there are other free programs out there that can do that already (that i use), so i don't think you need to register.
Are you not going to be able to rip cds with it if you don't register? Can you rip cds in this beta? The alpha I have will rip cds.

the beta will limit you to rip at nothing faster than 2X. when i try to set it to rip faster, the program tells me i need to register for winamp pro.

cant wait to download it (i share a lan and my mate will moan if his wolfenstein ping skyrockets). as far as ripping cds goes, i use musicmatch jukebox if im really desperate. it may be slightly a bit bulky but it doesnt embed itself (as far as i know) and its really fast at ripping.

i have yet to use anything faster tbh. but atm i use cda-extractor because i do.

but i play all mp3s with winamp 2.9. i thought 3 was ok, but it was very heavy on the cpu, and crashed more than 2.9.

yeah baby, got it now. looks nice, doesnt hog as bad as winamp 3. have to give it a further test but i'd recommend it atm.

installed alongside winamp 2.9 and no conflicts so no worries.

:D

Well at first sight it was pretty good, I've been using it for a week or two now.

Looks good, but i like the winamp2 look better :giddy:, but thats me. It hasn't crashed yet while loading 7000mp3's, what winamp3 sometime's did.

The winamp5 is pretty stable, and that for a béta:grinthumb

One thing i noticed, i'm using nview for my dual view and when i right click on the program(in taskbar) and send the application to the second monitor. I'll get a winamp3 window on my second monitor while winamp 5 is still playing like normal on my first monitor:confused:

Greets Crazy,

Another little bug I've found is that if the winamp process gets killed, when I relaunch it, the main window & equalizer are nowhere to be seen.

If I right click on the System tray icon ( tha's where I like it ), main window & equalizer are ticked ( meaning they're supposed to be showing ) & toggling them on/off doesn't make come back. I have to load the Winamp Modern skin to make them come back.

been nothing but sweetness for me

I'm still using "Winamp 5.0superearlyalphaness:* yeah"

Heard the gayness about the 5 beta in this thread and stuck to my rock solid alpha, and no that isn't sarcasm.

I don't know, but to me Winamp was always about playback. I don't need or want it to do anything else. (thats why 3 was such a flop) i have other progs better at doing the other things. a minibrowser... stuff like that just makes no sense to me, an yea i know its even in 2, i'm just saying. it definetly looks cooler, but does it improve playback sound at all (is that even possible?) i think it looks like i'll be sticking with 2.9 a while longer.

does anyone know if the new winamp is gonna support 24bit/96khz sound.I only use winamp 2.9 becuase it supports it but im tired of this old program. I want the features the new winamp has like the skins and components.

it's hard to say, since there is not one mention of winamp5 anywhere on the official site. you have to go into the forums and the winamp2 discussion to find some v5 mentions. however, it appears to be based quite a bit off of v2 so i'd say you're probably gonna be able to do this. why not give the beta a try and see? if not you can always uninstall and wait for the official version.
-Krugger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back