"WinAMP 5" under development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
WinAMP '5' under development

Looks like Nullsoft will focus back on the 2.x player somewhat, they have announced a new player that is in the works under the name of "Winamp 5" (Winamp 2 + Winamp 3?)... don't know about you but the old winamp still gets my full recommendation over any other player I've used.

This version will integrate Winamp 3 skin and script support into the Winamp 2.x platform. This will allow users who do not wish to have complex freeform skins to use classic Winamp skin(s), with the full performance of Winamp 2.x. Those who wish to use more advanced Winamp3 skins can do so as well. The integration will be seamless.

Initially this version of Winamp will not support Wasabi components. That may or may not change as we go forward, we have yet to see how worthwhile that will be. We have and will be extending Winamp 2.x's plug-in architecture greatly to allow much of the same functionality that can be accomplished with Wasabi).

We also plan on adding CD ripping and burning capability for this release.

Step 3: ???

Step 4: Profit!

(don't worry about steps 3 and 4, they are just a lame Southpark reference)

Hey Didou, do you remember ?

:D :D :D

Phase 1 : Collect underpants
Phase 2 : ???
Phase 3 : Profit

Yes, but what's phase 2 ?

Phase 1 : Collect underpants ......

Originally posted by warr
better move on, nullsoft.

the winamp3 is a failure.

Agreed, unfortunately Nullsoft seem to be implementing most of Winamp3's features into Winamp2, for example the latest couple of Winamp2 Versions include Video Support. Why do I want Winamp to play videos when I have Media Player?

I'm very happy with WinAmp 2.81, but might be tempted to use 5.0 if it isn't too much like WinAmp3...

All I want is a fast simple mp3 player, but with some more features added (Like crossfade between to songs, mixing two songs etc)...

Same problem as many many other apps
As they grow and improve, too much features are added which are used only by a few persons.
That's why the old pluginnable architecture is the best way to achieve maximum performance for people wh only want basic but fast functions and also a full featured software for people who have more needs than the average.
I tried Winamp 3 from its alpha releases and never used it more than 15 minutes .... I think I'll also stick with 2.81 or maybe I'll completely abandon Windows at the time Winampr 5 will be out ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back