TechSpot

Window trailing

By dwdraw2
Mar 3, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hell'o folks.

I'm new to this site, but liked the help that people were getting here so I joined the forum.

I have a windows trailing problem with some flashing white screen. When I size down a window to move it across the screen, it has a string of windows following it, anywhere from 5 to 20, then they clear up after coming to a stop. Some times I get a flashing white screen while moving the window.

I have replaced the drivers and even downloaded the ones from this site but still have the problem. I have had the graphics card replaced along with the monitor. The laptop is only about 2yrs old. I have worked with the Dell tech support, but the problem still exist. Following are my laptop specs:

Studio 1558, Windows 7 64Bit, Q720, 1.60Ghz, 450 gig hard drive, 6 gig Ram, ATI Radeon HD 5400, DirectX 11, A12.

I can still work in the computer, but it's annoying to have the screen flash at times and have the windows leave a trail of itself while moving them around.

Thanks for your time.

Dan
  2. Buckshot420

Buckshot420 TS Enthusiast Posts: 467

If you have a valid windows key and disk I would recommend putting a fresh install of windows on it. Should clear everything up. Sounds like something is using a lot of your memory ie. spyware.
  3. dwdraw2

dwdraw2 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the reply Buckshot420.

I will give that a try-reinstalling Windows. I currently use ZoneAlarm full suite. I haven't encountered any spyware, worms that I know of. But just in case, it doesn't hurt to reinstall Windows to make sure. Now if I do have some spyware, will reinstalling get rid of them?

Thanks for your time.

Dan
  4. Buckshot420

as long as you are doing a clean install, not a repair. Be sure to back up any files and drivers you may need as you will be reformatting the HDD.
  5. dwdraw2

dwdraw2 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the suggestion. I did the complete install and it worked. No more trailing or flashing. Whatever it was, it's gone, hopefully it stays gone.

Thanks again.

Dan
  6. Buckshot420

Im glad to help...enjoy.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.