Windows 10 has been finalized, goes RTM on build 10240

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft has reportedly finalized Windows 10 ahead of its July 29 release date. The company has selected build 10240 as the final release to manufacturing (RTM) copy according to sources familiar with the matter as reported by The Verge.

The milestone means Microsoft can now start sending copies of Windows 10 to OEM partners to install on new devices. Sources say Microsoft could announce its RTM status by the end of the week or simply choose to forego the tradition to focus entirely on the consumer launch.

Coincidentally, it was almost 20 years ago to the day that Microsoft released Windows 95 to manufacturing. That operating system was a monumental step forward that helped drive home the concept of personal computing to the mass market.

With Windows 10, Microsoft is no doubt hoping to hit another grand slam.

The Redmond-based company is taking a radically different approach with its new OS. Microsoft has publically stated that Windows 10 will be the last version of Windows as it transitions from big releases to incremental updates. Windows as a service is a bold concept but one that suddenly seems entirely plausible.

As we write this, Insiders in the Fast and Slow rings are already receiving their copy of the "finalized" Windows code.

We’re living in an unprecedented period in which technology is now a very personal experience that has reshaped society in ways that few could have predicted. It’ll be interesting to see whether or not Microsoft can deliver yet another culturally defining moment with Windows 10.

Permalink to story.

Installed here. If you ask me Windows 10 is not there yet, it's better than 8 and 8.1 for sure, but Microsoft should keep relentlessly updating this build until the end of the year to achieve real polish across the board.

Interesting, I'm no big fan of Windows 10 myself. But like you, I think its better than 8. I'm not sure that's saying much though.
Microsoft's Windows 10 will be in a constant state of flux and never truly finished. There words, not mine. So, going by that definition, there's not really any more really good reason to put it off any longer. Unless there were show stopper bugs.

I've been testing windows 10 and while it's a great operating system, I'm failing to see any reason why I would want to upgrade.

Tabbed browsing should have been introduced, something I can get in windows 10 easily. I'm seeing a fair amount of programs not working and acting wonk too. Even in compat mode, I'm getting issues with games from 2010 and earlier.

I hated that windows 7 only gave you a timer to tell it not to update ( and that often would not take focus) and it's even worse in windows 10.

Having two control panels is annoying. Why can't they have a mode selection like they did in the windows 7 control panel to select one that suites your needs?

Hate the fact that advanced options are still buried like in windows 8.

I like voice commands but I could care less about this virtual assistant business.

I'm sure there are more things, but I think everyone gets the point.

I've been testing windows 10 and while it's a great operating system, I'm failing to see any reason why I would want to upgrade.

Tabed browsing should have been introduced, something I can get in windows 10 easily. I'm seeing a fair amount of programs not working and acting wonk too. Even in compat mode, I'm getting issues with games from 2010 and earlier.

I hated that windows 7 only gave you a timer to tell it not to update ( and that often would not take focus) and it's even worse in windows 10.

Having two control panels is annoying. Why can't they have a mode selection like they did in the windows 7 control panel to select one that suites your needs?

I like voice commands but I could care less about this virtual assistant business.

You do all those preview build were set to auto update no matter what you tried to do.

Tabed browsing should have been introduced, something I can get in windows 10 easily. I'm seeing a fair amount of programs not working and acting wonk too. Even in compat mode, I'm getting issues with games from 2010 and earlier.

You pretty much hit every issue I have with this OS. I'm waiting for my VM to update to see what they did in 10240, but I'm not getting my hopes up that they some how polished / fixed some of those issues.

The two other big ones for me are - control over auto updates - needs to go back to how Win 7 does it at the very least. And also need to be able to fully disable web search integration from the start menu. These two items are show stoppers for me.

And WTF were they thinking regarding the different and dis-joined ways of managing and viewing the connected / available networks. - Hoping they fixed this in 10240...

My preview activated to windows 10 pro With the update.

But needs a lot of work yet. There will be plenty of mods to make it feel more like win7 soon. So feck microsoft.

"It’ll be interesting to see whether or not Microsoft can deliver yet another culturally defining moment with Windows 10."

BS.
The introduction of computers in our daily lives was a culturally defining moment. One might argue that the mass adoption of GUIs was a culturally defining moment. The introduction of mobile was defining. Windows 10 may or may not be a success, but it's definitely not culturally defining. Not even Windows XP or Windows 7 were. Yes, they were huge successes, and maybe they were defining for Microsoft, but they didn't define our culture. They were merely evolutionary steps that were good enough for people to hang unto.

I hate the hype that sites like Techspot try to generate for what is just another OS. I'm not saying they shouldn't be happy about new developments (which Windows 10 may very well be - at least compared to Windows 8), but try to keep a bit of perspective please.

Ahh, I am getting old...

So exactly how does the Start Menu behave in W10? Can you rearrange / drag & drop / rename programs exactly as you want, arrange them into custom subfolders (eg, "Games - FPS", "Games - RPG", "Web Design", etc), as you want that accurately replicate the C:\Users\[Username]\Start Menu folder structure, assign Shortcut Keys, rename / view the properties of applications, etc? Or is it little more than a Most Recently Used programs list glued onto to a tablet interface merely giving the illusion of restoring a full functionality Windows 7 menu? I've yet to read a serious neutral in depth review of this stuff instead of the usual glossing over the surface gushing infomercials...

Q: did anyone have trouble activating or was it automatic? I am curious if we could use our Windows 7 or 8.1 product keys, or if we get a new key assigned.

Installed here. If you ask me Windows 10 is not there yet, it's better than 8 and 8.1 for sure, but Microsoft should keep relentlessly updating this build until the end of the year to achieve real polish across the board.

I'm sure there will be updates available for download after it's released on the 29th (kind of like a day one patch).

Tabbed browsing should have been introduced, something I can get in windows 10 easily. I'm seeing a fair amount of programs not working and acting wonk too. Even in compat mode, I'm getting issues with games from 2010 and earlier.

I thought the advanced options were buried too... but they are actually SUPER easy to get to. Right click on the "Start" Icon and smile a bit inside :-D

So exactly how does the Start Menu behave in W10? Can you rearrange / drag & drop / rename programs exactly as you want, arrange them into custom subfolders (eg, "Games - FPS", "Games - RPG", "Web Design", etc), as you want that accurately replicate the C:\Users\[Username]\Start Menu folder structure, assign Shortcut Keys, rename / view the properties of applications, etc? Or is it little more than a Most Recently Used programs list glued onto to a tablet interface merely giving the illusion of restoring a full functionality Windows 7 menu? I've yet to read a serious neutral in depth review of this stuff instead of the usual glossing over the surface gushing infomercials...

The new start menu is pretty pathetic. I don't see why they didn't just tweak off of the Windows 7 start menu. I don't think you can drag and drop or rearrange ****. Stardock and Startisback will supposedly have replacement start menus as they have with Win 8 / 8.1. The web search integration garbage can finally be turned off via group policy - although it should be an easier option imho.

Back