Windows 10 issue

Branoli

Ok, I have a new laptop with Windows 10 on it. Every once in a while the file explorer screen will pop up and my desktop icons with all disappear. I don't know what is causing this and I find the only way to get my desktop icons back is to control alt delete and log off. Is this something common with Windows 10 or do I have a problem. It doesn't happen very often but is very annoying when it does. Any ideas out there?

Off hand, it sounds buggy to me. Why would file explorer pop up without your request for it? Why would that cause loss of icons? Why would a boot be needed to restore things?

Contact vendor and ask.

Off hand, it sounds buggy to me. Why would file explorer pop up without your request for it? Why would that cause loss of icons? Why would a boot be needed to restore things?

Contact vendor and ask.
Ok, thanks I will do that. I thought it was odd that all my icons would just disappear but then I am not that familiar with Windows 10 considering I haven't had this laptop all that long.

Likely it's performing an autoinstall upon boot - - if it's legit, that should only happen ONCE. As it's not, suspect a virus activity or so user downloaded program.

Likely it's performing an autoinstall upon boot - - if it's legit, that should only happen ONCE. As it's not, suspect a virus activity or so user downloaded program.
Thanks. I got the laptop at the end of November and it has done it maybe 3 or 4 times. Maybe I will take it to a local computer repair service I have used and see what they say.

You can be pretty sure that it will behave perfectly in the workshop so you'll get charged for nothing. Open Settings and enter Update and security a couple of times to check that you have all Microsoft's current updates installed. Otherwise, I'd think about contacting the vendor as Cycloid suggested.

Yup I do know that from the times I took my old laptop in due to an issue and of course it never misbehaved while they had it. The nice thing that once they did do any work on it and I had to take it back they never charged me. I guess Dell is who I need to contact since that is where I bought it. It really isn't terribly annoying as like I said it has only happened 3 or 4 times and I am on my laptop for many hours every day. I did check and all updates have been installed. Thanks for the suggestions.

There's another major update to Windows 10 due in the near future so your problem may go away. CCleaner free did a lot of tidying up when I ran it after the Anniversary edition install of Windows 10.

That would be awesome, thanks for the heads up. I may look into that too although being a new laptop not sure I need it at this point.

Back