Windows 10 November update has arrived for PCs, tablets and Xbox One

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The first major update to Windows 10 is upon us. Microsoft on Thursday began deploying what’s largely considered an enterprise-focused update for the more than 110 million devices already running its new operating system. There are, however, some additional changes that everyone can take part in.

As Terry Myerson explains on the Windows Experience Blog, overall performance was a key focus of the update. For example, boot time is now nearly 30 percent faster compared to the same device running Windows 7. Cortana is also a bit more useful and is available in several new markets including Australia, India and Japan.

Microsoft Edge, the company’s replacement browser for Internet Explorer, is said to be a bit faster and more secure. A new feature, tab preview, allows users to hover over an open tab to get a preview of what’s on that website without leaving the active window. Edge can now also sync your Reading list and Favorites across devices.

Microsoft is also rolling out its new Xbox One Experience update, described as a complete transformation of the console’s operating system powered by Windows 10. As covered earlier this week, the update delivers backward compatibility with more than 100 Xbox 360 titles. Other changes include a redesigned Home screen, a new guide that allows for one-button access to top tasks, a new community section designed to make gaming on the Xbox One more social, a revamped OneGuide for media and a new Store where you can purchase games, movies, television shows, apps and music.

Permalink to story.

I guess I'll give it another go. Got tired of making a new user profile every few days due to slow login, start not working, and any system applications not working--ironically only always my admin user profile. Seemed to have been caused for me by the update a week or so ago prepping for this update, so wonder if it'll finally stop.

"I'm currently updated to 1511"

Me too, but I want to snag the equivalent .ISOs at some point. They were released as well. Why do I even bother with Windows 10? Some kind of disease I guess. I think the 24/7 pace that the software world is moving at will eventually be regarded as an unhealthy practice. Its madness really. I am sure I am not the only one that has this view:

http://www.quirksmode.org/blog/archives/2015/07/stop_pushing_th.html

He wants web development innovation to slow down but it's the same principle. We're moving so fast nobody knows what the hell is going on...on any given day.

"boot time is now nearly 30 percent faster compared to the same device running Windows 7."

From all the praise about how much faster Windows 8+ boots over Windows 7 I find myself surprised at how little the difference is. What was the percentage it booted faster over Windows 7 before the Fall update was released? And exactly how does one determine when the operating system is fully booted? Seeing my desktop on screen is not what I consider being fully booted if I have to wait 5 more minutes for the hard disk to stop gurgling.

I want a full investigation done on these claims. They are probably misleading. :)

Meh, I'll upgrade a week before the 1 year free upgrade period ends. Why be a beta tester for this stuff? I'm perfectly happy with my win 8.1 & stardock start menu. :)

Are there any bugs in this release? I heard about some bugs in the last security release and some Surface Pro units were impaired. I might wait a week as a precaution.

What's all this chatter about Xbox? If it wasn't for PlayStation there wouldn't have been any usability of the console without an internet connection and a subscription fee even for single player mode, not to mention backwards compatibility.
My next question is, will the game from the Xbox show on the Pc too? Will steam be 6 ft under when all is in? The the Xbox become the new hybrid desktop since it uses the Windows 10 core? Questions and more questions...

Meh, I'll upgrade a week before the 1 year free upgrade period ends. Why be a beta tester for this stuff? I'm perfectly happy with my win 8.1 & stardock start menu. :)
You're missing out on some serious under-the-hood optimizations and improvements my friend. I've been on the Fast Ring ever since it was available and I can tell you first hand, Windows 10 has come a long way since it's Beta to the public a year ago. I understand Windows 8.1 is good, but you'll be forced to upgrade one way or the other soon enough, might as well jump ship now and get used to 10. ;) Also, no need to pay for 10, just use KMS Auto to activate it.....if you're into that sort of thing, ;) ;) or use an existing Vista/7/8.1 key if you have a legit one, which I'm assuming you do. One major flaw, is having to fresh install as certain Windows Modern Apps start crashing no matter how many updates and Windows.old folders you delete, but that's another topic. Anyways, the newest 10 build is 10586 and it is solid and leaves 8.1 in the dust especially when gaming. :D

What's all this chatter about Xbox? If it wasn't for PlayStation there wouldn't have been any usability of the console without an internet connection and a subscription fee even for single player mode, not to mention backwards compatibility.
My next question is, will the game from the Xbox show on the Pc too? Will steam be 6 ft under when all is in? The the Xbox become the new hybrid desktop since it uses the Windows 10 core? Questions and more questions...
I highly doubt Valve/Steam will ever budge from their top spot for many years to come.

And perhaps we may see some more Xbox games coming over. There's been talk again over Halo, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Some developers who have talked about it endorse the act, but we all know it's up to Microsoft; and if Microsoft truly wants to unify everything, then it'll happen--keeping the status quo doesn't help their market anyways.

You're missing out on some serious under-the-hood optimizations and improvements my friend. I've been on the Fast Ring ever since it was available and I can tell you first hand, Windows 10 has come a long way since it's Beta to the public a year ago. I understand Windows 8.1 is good, but you'll be forced to upgrade one way or the other soon enough, might as well jump ship now and get used to 10. ;) Also, no need to pay for 10, just use KMS Auto to activate it.....if you're into that sort of thing, ;) ;) or use an existing Vista/7/8.1 key if you have a legit one, which I'm assuming you do. One major flaw, is having to fresh install as certain Windows Modern Apps start crashing no matter how many updates and Windows.old folders you delete, but that's another topic. Anyways, the newest 10 build is 10586 and it is solid and leaves 8.1 in the dust especially when gaming. :D

Are you running a windows server for the KMS stuff?

I understand Windows 8.1 is good, but you'll be forced to upgrade one way or the other soon enough, might as well jump ship now and get used to 10. ;)

The same advice would no doubt apply to Windows 7 users like me (given that the kernel improvements are even more pronounced compared to 7). Maybe so, but the UI of 7 is such an abomination... I could not tolerate it for very long.

I still have 5 good years left in 7... why would I abandon something I like in favor of something I... do not like (putting it mildly) now when both are viable? It won't be any harder to get used to 10 (if I do switch in 2020) then as opposed to now, only by that time 10 will be more polished by 5 years of updates. Windows 8 gives a couple more years on top of that. I can re-evaluate whether I wish to switch at that time, or go to one of the flavors of Linux, or just stick it out with 7 and see if I can find some kind of kludge like the WinXP ReadyPOS one that will let the updates keep coming.

It is clear that Microsoft really, really want everyone to switch to 10. All they have to do is make 10 better than what I have for my purposes and I will do that. They haven't yet, but five years is a long time... and hopefully by then, Microsoft's gambit (using Windows to shoehorn people into the MS ecosystem and force apps down their throats to sell more Windows mobile devices) will have run its course, one way or another, and it will start to resemble a purpose-built desktop OS).

If I could have 10 under the hood, with all of the "phone home" stuff taken out, with my full ability to pick and choose which updates I will install (and hide the rest so I don't see them anymore) restored, with an option to _never_ see anything Universal or Metro (no "settings" in an app kind of thing), with the UI of Windows 7 Classic (or better yet, Win 2000 or XP Classic), that would be compelling.

I will have to go let my test PC with 10 (dual boot with Kubuntu) get the updates and see what has changed.

Also, no need to pay for 10, just use KMS Auto to activate it.....if you're into that sort of thing, ;) ;) or use an existing Vista/7/8.1 key if you have a legit one, which I'm assuming you do. One major flaw, is having to fresh install as certain Windows Modern Apps start crashing no matter how many updates and Windows.old folders you delete, but that's another topic. Anyways, the newest 10 build is 10586 and it is solid and leaves 8.1 in the dust especially when gaming. :D[/QUOTE]

Oops... didn't see that last paragraph of the quote hanging there. Ignore that, please. (An ability to edit would be nice.)

"I'm currently updated to 1511"

Me too, but I want to snag the equivalent .ISOs at some point. They were released as well. Why do I even bother with Windows 10? Some kind of disease I guess. I think the 24/7 pace that the software world is moving at will eventually be regarded as an unhealthy practice. Its madness really. I am sure I am not the only one that has this view:

http://www.quirksmode.org/blog/archives/2015/07/stop_pushing_th.html

He wants web development innovation to slow down but it's the same principle. We're moving so fast nobody knows what the hell is going on...on any given day.

"boot time is now nearly 30 percent faster compared to the same device running Windows 7."

From all the praise about how much faster Windows 8+ boots over Windows 7 I find myself surprised at how little the difference is. What was the percentage it booted faster over Windows 7 before the Fall update was released? And exactly how does one determine when the operating system is fully booted? Seeing my desktop on screen is not what I consider being fully booted if I have to wait 5 more minutes for the hard disk to stop gurgling.

I want a full investigation done on these claims. They are probably misleading. :)
People still run their OS on HDDs and not SSDs?

Are you running a windows server for the KMS stuff?
You don't have to, just download the newest version of the Microsoft Toolkit.

Will this update fix the issue with forcing me to enter my password every single time I log in, just because I have a second email address on my Xbox account?

It's very annoying :/

That's something people from Microsoft would say.
Hehe, definitely not a Microservant, just stating a fact that the performance is far better. But, it should doesn't come without it's negative hitches. I prefer 10 now more than I have in the past but I do most of my tinkering in Ubuntu 15.10 Wily and use Windows for gaming. ;)

Hehe, definitely not a Microservant, just stating a fact that the performance is far better. But, it should doesn't come without it's negative hitches. I prefer 10 now more than I have in the past but I do most of my tinkering in Ubuntu 15.10 Wily and use Windows for gaming. ;)
I didn't really find it faster. Even the benchmarks on this site shows that Winwdows 8.1 is the fastest OS by a really small amount.

AVOID AVOID AVOID - now you get to see the new MIcrosoft coming to the fore.

All the unnecessary crap that had been uninstalled 3D Builder, Money etc is suddenly back.

Default browser changed to surprise of surprises Microsoft.

Printer doesn't work (doesn't appear).

Privacy shot as all apps have been given access to everything again - microphone, contacts, camera.

Loads of new features totally inappropriate to the hardware (this is a laptop not a smartphone).

If I had to reconfigure my smartphone every time there was a system update it would be in the bin - you could learn something from Google.

Back