Windows 10 Proxy Issue

I've been running into an issue lately where Windows 10 will drop my internet connect and give me the "Windows could not detect this network's proxy settings" message. This only seems to happen when I've been downloading anything over an extended period of time (either games or updates). I've never had this issue before, granted my current PC is only one month old. I've tried restoring it to previous dates, removing proxy registries, and even doing resets via command prompt. The issue is usually fixed simply by resetting my router and modem but the problem comes back anytime I download anything over a 30 minute period. Any suggestions?

If "my current PC is only one month old" means you have a manufacturer with warranty in the wings, I might start there.

Does Event Viewer throw any light on this?

Since resetting router seems to correct this, could it be the router (if provided by ISP, ask them)? If not, consider a full hardware reset on the router and checking for updates on this.

Sorry I should have specified that I built this PC. As far as the router goes it's an Asus RT-AC68R. I performed a full hardware reset on it and so far it seems fine. Currently re-downloading one of the games that this happened. Will keep you posted on results.

Do not run using the Admin login. Only go online with a limited user id

Issue still occurred unfortunately. Though this time around it was later in the download (86%, up from 62%). Not sure if that's relevant aside from my original point. Note that this has been occurring during any lengthy download, not just this specific game.

"Sorry but could you specify a bit more on this??" My problem exactly...we know a little about your setup (motherboard?, NIC?, wired/wireless?) and so you are the filter. I'm inclined to think this is a hardware issue - somewhere between your ISP and your HDD. It could be the repeater up on the pole or the modem or the router or the NIC....

PingInfoView.exe might give some insight.

Careful monitoring of Event Viewer might help.

Rebuilding drivers & hardware definitions etc might help

You might even 'bandaid' with a utility... http://filehippo.com/software/file_transfer/download_managers/

Most of the time, a proxy is unnecessary, so I ask, have you always used a proxy?

Back