Windows 10 to receive three additional years of paid security updates

Daniel Sims

Staff
In a nutshell: Microsoft wants to move as many users as possible onto Windows 11. The operating system didn't gain steam as quickly as Windows 10, but the older edition is approaching official end-of-life status. After next year, those wishing for further security updates must pay.

Microsoft announced that users and businesses can continue receiving critical security updates for Windows 10 after its official support ends in October 2025. Like Windows 7, the company will offer an annual subscription for three years of patches following the official sunset date.

Enrollees will receive monthly updates to close vulnerabilities but will not obtain new features. Microsoft previously confirmed that 22H2, released last year, is the final feature update to Windows 10. Pricing and availability details for the subscription are still to come. Enterprise IoT systems will continue receiving updates on a longer alternate timeline.

The company mentioned the upcoming subscription at the end of a blog post explaining different methods for migrating to Windows 11. Aside from the free updates available to many Windows 10 systems, Microsoft also suggested buying new Windows 11-capable devices in a likely ploy to spur PC sales, which have begun to recover after a dry spell lasting multiple quarters.

The company also pushed its cloud and subscription services like Windows 365 to facilitate migrations. Microsoft will roll the Windows 10 extended support subscription into 365 when users connect to Windows 11 cloud PCs, and Windows 10 Azure Virtual Desktop users receive the patches for free.

Users wishing to avoid subscriptions or continue using Windows 10 longer must rely on third-party groups like 0patch to keep their systems secure. 0patch continues to release updates for Windows 7, Server 2008, and Server 2012, so it will likely support Windows 10 for years.

Despite having less than a year of official support left, Windows 10 remains highly popular. The latest OS usage snapshot from Steam's November 2023 hardware and software survey suggests that over half of systems still run Windows 10. Its successor is gaining popularity, but not nearly as quickly as Windows 10 replaced Windows 7.

Meanwhile, previous rumors suggest Windows 12 could emerge around June next year. Companies like Intel and Quanta have expressed optimism that the next version of Windows could boost the client-side and AI markets.

Permalink to story.

MicroSludge keeps doing more and more to push people away from them and I don't think it will be long before they get their wish. All it will take is for one major corporation to adopt another OS and make their decision known, then the wheels will come off and MicroSludge will become a thing of the past .....

MicroSludge keeps doing more and more to push people away from them and I don't think it will be long before they get their wish. All it will take is for one major corporation to adopt another OS and make their decision known, then the wheels will come off and MicroSludge will become a thing of the past .....
Germany's entire government switching to ubuntu wasnt enough to spur action. Most people enjoy sludge, and will happily gulp it down while trading their privacy and money for it.

We're outliers.

If they wanted people to upgrade they shouldn't have messed with the task bar. According to their telemetrics only a small percentage of people had the task bar on the side and/or used labels. We call those people tech savvy, it's the same people that disable telemetrics and cause skewed statistics.

Although to be fair the only thing previously stopping me from upgrading was the lack of task bar labels, which they have now added to 11. So to be fair if I'd need to reinstall now I'd go with 11 but at this point I CBA with upgrading... Might as well wait and see if 12 comes out and see if it's any good, if it isn't it's fine for 11 or a Linux KDE desktop. Aside from gaming a lot of what I do is actually easier under Linux.

until an OS appears that will allow you to just open a browser, download what you want, double click to install said thing that was download and doesn't need to go through hoops to play games....it will never happen. linux has had more than enough time to do this whilest having a billion distros. linux is a disappointment for the hopeful. as far as im concerned apple will be the only one to compete whenever they feel like doing it. linux is just a mess of false hope.

And here we go...

Looks like the waters are being tested on OS As A Service.

MS absolutely does not want to sell you an OS, it wants you to subscribe to an OS. Hopefully the reception here isn't all that great, otherwise we will 100% be seeing "Windows 365" sooner rather than later.

And here we go...

Looks like the waters are being tested on OS As A Service.

MS absolutely does not want to sell you an OS, it wants you to subscribe to an OS. Hopefully the reception here isn't all that great, otherwise we will 100% be seeing "Windows 365" sooner rather than later.

Exactly!

And the day is approaching fast when we must pay upfront to buy Windows 1x -2x, etc, and then must pay monthly subscriptions for updates and the like!!

Unless I've just woken up from a coma, isn't it 2023 and hence Win 10 official support ends in nearly 2 years, not 1.

Anyway wait until you see the AI infested cloud crap M$ has in store for Win 12 users in 7 months. Linux will start looking very enticing to a lot more people.

-Experience
Windows 3.11
95 good
98 bad
Win NT4 bad
2000 good
XP good
vista bad
W7 good
W8 bad
W10 good
W11 bad

over 800 laptops in by business, everyone with Win11 has performance issues, crashing, cant connect to wifi, printing problems, sluggish running more than 12hours without restart.

Bring out windows 12 "Windows 10" with new Ui and we will upgrade

-Experience
Windows 3.11
95 good
98 bad
Win NT4 bad
2000 good
XP good
vista bad
W7 good
W8 bad
W10 good
W11 bad

over 800 laptops in by business, everyone with Win11 has performance issues, crashing, cant connect to wifi, printing problems, sluggish running more than 12hours without restart.

Bring out windows 12 "Windows 10" with new Ui and we will upgrade
I had wifi problem on 11 too. It was a weird one. One time I fixed it by changing dns in new wifi menu.
The other it stayed offline for a good 30 seconds then connected.
It is weird, I do not like it. I still blame myself for deciding to try the latest best. 10 was perfect.

Back