Windows 10's November update, pulled over privacy settings issue, is back

Scorpus

Staff member

Windows 10's November update didn't go quite as Microsoft had planned. The company pulled the update, version 1511, from Windows Update and the Media Creation Tool shortly after its launch, as some users noticed some issues with the update retaining privacy settings.

When users upgraded from the main release of Windows 10 to the November update, four privacy-related settings were reset to their defaults: whether apps can use a unique advertiser ID, whether the SmartScreen web filter is enabled, whether apps can run in the background, and whether settings should sync between devices.

Microsoft decided to pull the update as some users would not have realized these settings were being reset to their defaults, and would simply assume their privacy controls were still being enforced. Luckily, only those upgrading from an existing build of Windows 10 were affected; those coming from Windows 7 or 8 did not see their privacy settings reset.

Today Microsoft has rectified the issue, and are pushing a fixed version of the November update through Windows Update to users around the globe. The Media Creation Tool has also been updated to create clean installs of Windows 10 with the fixed November update applied.

Users who already downloaded and installed the update will have their settings restored by Microsoft in the coming days, although it's advised that you check the relevant settings anyway to ensure your manual changes are still intact.

Permalink to story.

"those coming from Windows 7 or 8 did not see their privacy settings reset."

I had windows 8 and it reset my privacy settings.

I think the author means if you were to upgrade now from 7 or 8, you wouldn't be affected. But if you got the Nov update having already installed Win10, then you'd be affected.

...I think.

The sentence seems unnecessary. Point is, if you had the July RTM / TH1 / 10240 build of Windows 10 already installed, and then updated to the November 1511 / TH2 / 10586 build, you WOULD be affected.

The bigger point is, was this an accident or just MS's attempt to re-engage those features to the benefit of others as opposed to the users.

The bigger point is, was this an accident or just MS's attempt to re-engage those features to the benefit of others as opposed to the users.

Not a point at all, it's really a non-issue considering the issue was addressed rather quickly and settings are being restored to those whom were already affected.

Not a point at all, it's really a non-issue considering the issue was addressed rather quickly and settings are being restored to those whom were already affected.

Missing the point here. He's saying that Microsoft got it's hand caught in the cookie jar again. I wouldn't put it past them either. They still follow the "show it down your throats" creed they've had for some time no. The only difference with Nadella vs Ballmer is now they make changes stealthy.

I downloaded November 24th from the Media Creation Tool . How to know if I have received the July or November version ?

...and ofc this total breach into privacy wasn't intentional at all. Microsoft should be sued like how they sue VW.

Don't take this wrong, but having been around since the birth of Microsoft we have seen this time and time again from them. It's just business, and while there is absolutely nothing illegal, there are many that would consider it unethical. Sadly, it was started by Bill Gates in the early days and he pulled some really ruthless tactics against competitors, not to mention against the users.

So, based upon the long standing practices of the firm, I stand by my comment. After all, why would a multi-billion dollar corporation give away their latest OS without expecting to get something in return? I will give them credit for their actions of fixing the issue, but past experience causes one to think they are simply getting smarter and reversing their actions for "appearances". They will certainly find a ways and means of getting into our pockets again soon. From my end, I hope so .... I need their stock to take off again so I can reap some of the profits! LOL

Missing the point here. He's saying that Microsoft got it's hand caught in the cookie jar again. I wouldn't put it past them either. They still follow the "show it down your throats" creed they've had for some time no. The only difference with Nadella vs Ballmer is now they make changes stealthy.

Not at all missing the point. I don't think it's a matter of any hands being 'caught in the cookie jar'. I think they're still figuring out the bugs and kinks of this new delivery model they have for Windows 10. I don't think they would have went as far as completely pulling the update temporarily if this was something they were trying to force upon us. Besides, the number of customers who actually customize these settings are a minority anyway....so MSFT has no reason to try and force this group back into their pool of data. That's the way I see it at least.

Not at all missing the point. I don't think it's a matter of any hands being 'caught in the cookie jar'. I think they're still figuring out the bugs and kinks of this new delivery model they have for Windows 10. I don't think they would have went as far as completely pulling the update temporarily if this was something they were trying to force upon us. Besides, the number of customers who actually customize these settings are a minority anyway....so MSFT has no reason to try and force this group back into their pool of data. That's the way I see it at least.

It could definitely be that Microsoft is still trying to figure things out. I just wouldn't rule out the possibility of them doing it on purpose. We already know that microsoft is willing to go to insane lengths to gather user data. Remember the xbox one before it was completely altered due to massive backlash? Microsoft hasn't exactly earned anyone's trust lately.

Don't take this wrong, but having been around since the birth of Microsoft we have seen this time and time again from them. It's just business, and while there is absolutely nothing illegal, there are many that would consider it unethical. Sadly, it was started by Bill Gates in the early days and he pulled some really ruthless tactics against competitors, not to mention against the users.

So, based upon the long standing practices of the firm, I stand by my comment. After all, why would a multi-billion dollar corporation give away their latest OS without expecting to get something in return? I will give them credit for their actions of fixing the issue, but past experience causes one to think they are simply getting smarter and reversing their actions for "appearances". They will certainly find a ways and means of getting into our pockets again soon. From my end, I hope so .... I need their stock to take off again so I can reap some of the profits! LOL

Why would they give it away for free? Oh I dont know, maybe because Android is the predominate OS and google plans to bring that OS to desktop? That seems alot more compelling than just them wanting to sell our information to marketers. Their very lifeblood is on the line.

Why would they give it away for free? Oh I dont know, maybe because Android is the predominate OS and google plans to bring that OS to desktop? That seems alot more compelling than just them wanting to sell our information to marketers. Their very lifeblood is on the line.

Exactly the point and my compliments for seeing through their camouflage! As has been the case over the decades, competition breeds benefits for the end users and MS has been lacking any really serious competition for awhile. There was a time when MS's dominance was for the benefit of the end user by their elimination of so many conflicting software packages where the interrupts would crash into each other and ultimately crash your computer. For those us that used CPM for awhile, such was not the case, but we were far outside of the mainstream and forced to change OS's. Even in the days of Apple's peeks and pokes on their first OS there were certain advantages & disadvantages.

I would only suggest to the readers to always keep your eyes open and ask that inevitable question of "why" any time the offer something for nothing. As every person that has ever dealt with a salesman knows "tain't no free lunch, Charlie" .....

I downloaded November 24th from the Media Creation Tool . How to know if I have received the July or November version ?
Type "winver" in the search box. Winver will state whether you have 10240 or 10586 (aka: 1511).

I have also done a search on "10586" : not found, then "10240" found several times e.g. 'version="10.0.10240.16384" '. I assume that I have the July version and I'll re-download the 4 GO. !

Where should I search ? I have searched the USB key and found the string in some .dll in the source directory but it was part of "WinVerify" ...
The search box that Windows 10 by default has in the Taskbar.

winver will either show 10240
Winver.png
or 10586
windows-10-build-10586.jpg

Back