Windows 11 will warn users if their PC doesn't meet Microsoft's minimum requirements

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? Microsoft currently allows users to install Windows 11 on PCs that meet the official system requirements of the OS. They’ll even guide you on how to bypass certain requirements should your machine fall short in a few areas, but they're not exactly overjoyed to do so. And soon, Microsoft will start reminding you about it.

Windows Latest has found that in new preview builds, Microsoft has added a warning message in the Settings app to let users know their system doesn’t meet the minimum specifications.

The publication notes that the current implementation isn’t nearly as intrusive as a Windows activation error, but it’s always possible that Microsoft could build up to that level over time.

The current alert directs users to a page warning of the risks of running Windows 11 on unsupported devices, noting that issues that crop up as a result of incompatibility won’t be covered by a manufacturer warranty.

Microsoft’s system requirements for Windows 11 have been a jumbled mess from the start, especially as it relates to the PC Health Check App and TPM. The latest efforts with preview builds do at least seem noble, in that Microsoft could eventually look to weed out shady PC makers loading and selling “Windows 11 PCs” on systems that clearly have no business running the new operating system with unsuspecting consumers being none the wiser.

We’ll keep an eye on this and see how it plays out over the coming months.

Permalink to story.

Why is Microsoft deferring people from Windows 11? Shouldn't they get everyone on it regardless of specs to pad W11 market share and since Windows 11 is basically a Windows 10 skin, why would it have different minimum specs?

Think of the AVERAGE person... and think about how dumb they are... now remember - half the population is DUMBER than that person!!!
You know everyone and their mom posts that quote every day? I guess they are...average people.

Why is Microsoft deferring people from Windows 11? Shouldn't they get everyone on it regardless of specs to pad W11 market share and since Windows 11 is basically a Windows 10 skin, why would it have different minimum specs?

You know everyone and their mom posts that quote every day? I guess they are...average people.

Security and less crashing with newer supported hardware According to MS. Take that for what its worth because all the non supported hardware works fine on Win 10. They know what's best for you.

Think of the AVERAGE person... and think about how dumb they are... now remember - half the population is DUMBER than that person!!!

So true. Years ago a Seattle newspaper ran an article "40% of Seattle public school students score below average!" They made it out as some kind of disaster, implying that some students were not getting 'equal treatment' and advocated spending more on their favorite charity groups. Of course by definition, 50% will be below average. Obviously the newspaper editors were part of that 40% below average group.

Security and less crashing with newer supported hardware According to MS. Take that for what its worth because all the non supported hardware works fine on Win 10. They know what's best for you.
I think you forgot the /s. Check out the link to ghacks list of vulnerabilities patched last Tuesday. The number of patches released per Windows version, every patch Tuesday, consistently show that as newer versions of Windows are released they have more vulnerabilities due to added layers of "security" providing more opportunities to attack. Windows 7 (still in paid extended support for Enterprises) had 11 patched vulnerabilities. Windows 8.1 had 14. Windows 10 had 22. Windows 11 had 23. Because Microsoft claims newer versions are more secure does not make it so. https://www.ghacks.net/2022/02/08/microsoft-windows-security-updates-february-2022-overview/

Thew average person would not install Windows 11 on an unsupported system, unless someone else did it for them for whatever reason.
Like me with my wife. I have two pendrives: One contains the official iso, and the other the "fixed" one.

So true. Years ago a Seattle newspaper ran an article "40% of Seattle public school students score below average!" They made it out as some kind of disaster, implying that some students were not getting 'equal treatment' and advocated spending more on their favorite charity groups. Of course by definition, 50% will be below average. Obviously the newspaper editors were part of that 40% below average group.
Sorry to be pedantic but when speaking about 50% below and 50% above average, this is a median not an average. Now it's technically possible to be an average but in this context it is a median.

I'm just thinking Microsoft could have maaaybe allowed systems that didn't meet the requirements on the beta or dev channel, and hard locked them out of the retail/final version.

I don't write software or call the shots so it's probably not that easy. It's a good idea putting the message in the settings app instead of one you have to download. Should have been done a lot sooner, but what can you do?

@ Microsoft

Shut the hell up and stop trying to control everyone! We DO NOT need any warnings and we will NOT be told how to run OUR PC's. I will NOT be using TPM or SecureBoot. Ever!!

I pay for my PC and I paid for my retail copy of Windows. I will run it as I see fit on the system of MY choice. Simply put, my money, my rules.

Don't like that? Too damn bad..

Last edited:
Hey look! They're putting nagware in 11 for all those of you that want to run it on old hardware!

Remember when I was saying, in the 11 coment sections months ago, that running 11 on unsupported hardware was going to be a PITA and "well just bypass the requirements" wasnt a valid solution?

I love being right.

Sorry to be pedantic but when speaking about 50% below and 50% above average, this is a median not an average. Now it's technically possible to be an average but in this context it is a median.
Median is a type of average (there are 3: mean, median and mode)... but yes, the "average" person should really be taken as a "mean", thus far less than half the population would be "dumber than average"... alas, the quote was meant to be humorous, not taken literally :)

I think you forgot the /s. Check out the link to ghacks list of vulnerabilities patched last Tuesday. The number of patches released per Windows version, every patch Tuesday, consistently show that as newer versions of Windows are released they have more vulnerabilities due to added layers of "security" providing more opportunities to attack. Windows 7 (still in paid extended support for Enterprises) had 11 patched vulnerabilities. Windows 8.1 had 14. Windows 10 had 22. Windows 11 had 23. Because Microsoft claims newer versions are more secure does not make it so. https://www.ghacks.net/2022/02/08/microsoft-windows-security-updates-february-2022-overview/

Wow, you are the second person who's sarcasm meter must have been broken yesterday. Not sure how it could be more obvious? 😁

Because Satya hates Windows and loves cloud computing and consoles.

My experience with one particular PC model, the kid-oriented Kano PC that met all the requirements except supposedly the disk space, and that makes me wonder if MS has a complete handle on how to evaluate a PC's specs correctly and/or assess the actual impact.

The Kano is sold as having 64 GB of eMMC disk storage, but initially during the pre-release insider testing, the checker logic was flagging it as having "only" 62 GB, and thus not qualified. So I got around that with a downloaded preview image, and it installed just fine, but that showed the disk as having 57GB during the installation. I did have to go back to save all the Win10 device drivers for post-installation updating since the installation missed carrying over any, and did not install a number of basic ones with W11 such as sound, touchscreen (and maybe wifi - forget). That is something the installation checker REALLY needs to include!

Since then it has been updating the general release just fine, and I still had enough free disk (did full C: drive compression right after installation) to carve out about 18GB for a Linux installation with dual booting, and room to spare for W11 to run and add a fair bit of software with Portable Apps, mostly on an internal flash card drive with 64GB.

I hope MS gets that figured out so it doesn't nag about it, but, honestly, I have not been impressed enough with Win11 vs Win10, or even my Linux Mint daily driver, to care a lot. Will see how it plays out over the next few years I suppose.

Last edited:
No need of warning us. We're not idi0ts.

Microsoft thinks badgering the **** out of you will get you to buy another computer, and thus another Windows license. Just like they think gimping their OS into uselessness unless you sign in with your "Microsoft account" will force their stupid accounts down everyone's throats.

Windows is a disgraceful, depressing mess now. What it needs is a ground-up redesign and rewrite.

Back