Windows 12 rumored to arrive in fall 2024 with a floating taskbar and a focus on AI

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: Just as we're getting used to Windows 11 and the operating system starts seeing more adoption, it appears that the successor is drawing closer. Rumors claim Windows 12 will start rolling out late next year, and with it comes new features such as a floating taskbar.

We've heard plenty of rumors about Windows 12 this year. While Microsoft has yet to officially confirm it is in the works, there have been several hints pointing to its existence. One of these came at the Build 2023 developer conference in the form of a video screenshot that referred to a "next generation" of Windows. That presumably refers to Windows 12 and hopefully not a fully cloud-based Windows 11.

Microsoft has also referred to a "Next Valley Prototype Design," said to be a codename for the next-generation of Windows.

Windows Latest notes that Microsoft accidentally teased a version of its OS with a floating taskbar at the company's 2023 Ignite conference. It's believed to be part of internal testing that's exploring new design changes for the next Windows.

According to speculation, Microsoft intends to roll out Windows 12 in the third quarter of 2024, followed by a wider rollout in 2025.

Back in March, there were reports that Intel, and likely AMD, are working together with Microsoft to provide Windows with advanced AI capabilities. Not a surprise, given the direction that the industry is going.

Another report on Windows 12 suggests that it will be separated into "states" that live on different partitions of the storage drive. This will reportedly make managing and updating Windows 12 easier for Microsoft and a less daunting experience for users. It will also make the OS more secure and offer faster updates.

Ironically, we're discussing Windows 12 at a time when Windows 11 is starting to make gains among PC users. Last month, its global share reach a record high of almost 24% - though Windows 10 maintains a 71% lead. It's even better news for Windows 11 on the Steam survey, where it is now found in over 35% of participants' PCs, while Windows 10 has dropped to below 60%.

Permalink to story.

I am so happy Steam released proton to address gaming issues on Linux and mostly fixing that up. That means there is nothing left on Windows I'd need to use and I can easily ignore their new ideas. It was much easier than I thought to get used to modern distro and I have no reason to look back.

I didn't want Windows 11 and its bloat, I certainly don't want Windows 12, For me Windows 10 will indeed be my last ever Windows (Like Microsoft said), I have been spending more and more time on my Ubuntu partition and am actively trying out other distros to find my new home. I figure I have a year or two to figure things out.

I remember when they lied and said Windows 10 was the last one and they would just keep updating it. I will hold out from 11 and 12 as long as I can. I will definitely be waiting for someone to figure out how to disable all the garbage they add. It's not to make a better experience for us, it's to make it easier to profit from your information.

There is no development of new apps for Windows.
Even Microsoft does not develop apps for Windows, WinUI 3 is late and mostly unused, and Microsoft pushes PWA as replacement even for first-party apps like Mail & Calendar. Clipchamp and similar junk added as part of "Windows" I do not want even to mention.
So, it is completely pointless what Windows 12 will be... For sure, it will have even more PWA, even less native apps, and even higher Bing / AI / Edge integration in order to push you to Microsoft services. Just like Google does with Android, just like Apple does with iOS...

I wouldn't say that Windows 11 is "gaining popularity". I'd say that as old devices are being replaced, Win 10 goes away and 11 comes in.

I was helping an elderly neighbor with his PC and he did not even realize it had upgraded itself from WIndows 10 to 11. I was perfectly happy with Windows 7, and with XP before that, and Windows 2000 before that.

I wish MS would make a basic desktop OS and stick with it for the long term.

I was helping an elderly neighbor with his PC and he did not even realize it had upgraded itself from WIndows 10 to 11. I was perfectly happy with Windows 7, and with XP before that, and Windows 2000 before that.

I wish MS would make a basic desktop OS and stick with it for the long term.
Maybe he got a new computer and forgot, you know, him being old and all?

Seriously though, most computers that were running 10 for a while don't meet the requirements to upgrade to 11 (mostly due to TMP 2.0) so I'm surprised his system would have upgraded to 11. System I use at work has Windows 10 on it, but it doesn't support TPM so 11 isn't an option (without some work around if you really wanted 11 on it).

Can we just get a proper game mode that suspends all non gaming related services while gaming? Or is that too much to ask for?

I wouldn't say that Windows 11 is "gaining popularity". I'd say that as old devices are being replaced, Win 10 goes away and 11 comes in.
It's next to impossible to buy new computers that even have Windows 10 Drivers available.
About the ONLY thing I like about 11 is File Explorer with Tabs.

Maybe he got a new computer and forgot, you know, him being old and all?

Seriously though, most computers that were running 10 for a while don't meet the requirements to upgrade to 11 (mostly due to TMP 2.0) so I'm surprised his system would have upgraded to 11. System I use at work has Windows 10 on it, but it doesn't support TPM so 11 isn't an option (without some work around if you really wanted 11 on it).
Use RUFUS to build your Windows 11 Install ISO and write it to the USB Drive. It can over ride TPM and M$ Online Account

Windows 12 will also feature Realtime Ray Tracing and Path Tracing for Window and Cursor reflections. All the button and menu items will emit a real light glow with thousand of rays when you click or hover over them.
Minimum system requirement : Dedicated Raytracing capable GPU with full Direct-X 13 support and minimum of 16 GB VRAM.

/s

Back