Windows 2000 OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jboman

How can I transfer the entire Windows 2000 Operating System with associated settings, software programs, basically the whole nine so to speak, to a new Hard Drive just purchased?

I have a friend who just purchased a new hard drive about 160 GB. Her old Hard drive was 40 GB.

My friend would like to know how she can transfer her entire Windows 2000 Operating System and all that's contained on the Old Hard Drive to the newly purchased Hard drive.

Any Suggestions?

Norton Ghost (I use this one)
Acronis True Image (most users like this one, images and backup incrementally)
Acronis Migrate Easy (Just disk clone - quite good!)
Drive Image (Basically an alternative)
DriveImage XML (This one is free!)
MaxBlast (I haven't used this, but it's free)
pc-disk-clone(Home Edition: Up to 2GB/min, Pro Edition: Up to 7GB/min)

Imaging: Backs up your entire system, including Windows and data, plus your partition as well. The image can be stored on removable media, such as DVD. And usually takes under an hour (depending on size of image) to fully recover to a blank HardDrive.

Although (subnote) I am unsure of which one or if not all, allow Windows 2000

I've used MaxBlast in the past, it was for XP, but I don't think it matters, the whole thing is ran off the CD. It was very simple to use.

Win2K will very probably be an IDE drive. Be sure the new drive is also IDE, and not SATA.

You can take the image to multiple CD's if you have a burner, with compression if the package you use offers it. Or you could do a direct copy by putting the new drive in the PC along with the old. You might need to move the jumper on the new drive from master to slave, or if the old PC has two channels, it could remain master and be connected in place of existing CD.

Some packages (e.g. Acronis) can copy the actual OS you are running it from, others reboot the PC and run the copy in a Dos-equivalent mode. Some packages run from a bootable CD.

At the end of the image copy, you may be prompted about 'do you want to hide the new copy', or assign a drive letter to it, and so forth. Try to choose to just leave things be, shut the PC down, put the new drive in place of the old and boot....

One big advantage of moving to a new drive is to use less than the maximum space, and have a second partition for backups and drive images as well (20Gb or more). The advantages of having a drive image already on the drive is enormous, you can restore the PC from a nasty virus infection in just minutes. Please, do a little research on the subject of backups and imaging.

Thanks for Feed.

Thank you to kimsland, SNGX1275 and gbhall for the replies.

I will look into all you have suggested.

I will reply back when the job is done.

I love this site you can always count on someone to help.

In this case someones (LOL).

Thanks again guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back