TechSpot

Windows 2000 SP4 serious boot problem

By anarchitecte
Aug 15, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi!
    I know I should not post a new threat but I guess my case is really specific.
    I had a clean and stable install of Windows 2000 SP4. But a previous Ubuntu installation messed up my partioning. I wanted it cleaner. I have a small HDD.I had

C:NTFS Win2kSp4 (5Gb)
    D:NTFS Myfiles (5Gb)
    E:FAT32 Temp (100 Mb to small)
    F:NTFS Paging File Disk (1400 Mb for 320 Mb Ram = too big)

I wanted to allocate 400 Mb from F to E. I used the Windows Partition Manager after noticing Partition Magic Demo doesn't do anything until you pay. So I put paging back to C:, rebooted, deleted E: and F: hoping being able to fuse them to split them better after. It was impossible because it seemed E: was linked to D: as an extension. So I created a new F: NTFS Paging disk (960 Mb), E: FAT32 as temp1 (100Mb) and H: FAT32 as Temp2 (400Mb). Set the paging to F:. reboot.
    Just after Bios appeared "NTLDR missing". No boot possible.
    I boot from Windows CD to look at partitions. C: became F: and F: became C::mad:
    I reboot into recovery console and make "fixmbr"
    Now appears"strike F1 to....". I boot from Windows CD and run Emergency Repair. Long and suspect deleting and copying. "Repair Setup Completed"
    But still not boot: "strike F1..." :dead:
    I would like not to have to reinstall Windows. Does anybody have a solution.

Thanks

2. anarchitecte

anarchitecte TS Rookie Topic Starter

I see nobody was inspired
    I solved it alone. I discovered on Microsoft Website that I had probably changed the active disk. No warning and no boot.
    Emergency repair did not help!
    Copying NTLDR from InstallCD to bootsector changed nothing.
    Trying with a Ubuntu Live CD was to difficult and maybe not possible to.
    At the end I installed a second copy of 2000 on a different partition. I'll delete it now.
    What a waste of time

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.