TechSpot

Windows 2003 based server running very slow

By SittingDuckie
Jul 18, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all,

I am currently on a voluntary placement in Indonesia helping out an NGO with some I.T. They have a windows 2003 server with the following specs thats causing me some grief, and I was hoping you could help

Specs
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8I848P775-G
    CPU: Intel pentium 4 775
    GPU: Radeon 9250 128MB DDR 64-bit
    HD: Seagate barricuda 7200: 1x 120GB, 1x320GB
    PSU: 400w XA SIMBIO
    RAM: 1GB Hynix DDR PC3200

Problem
    The problem is very slow running and slow response times. The PC POSTs normally, but loading of the operating system is very slow. It takes 1-2 minutes from POST to login screen. Loading then takes a long time. After this, I can open the start menu, bit it is a little slow. Opening the programs sub-menu is then very very slow, causing the computer to freeze. Any intensive task also causes the computer to freeze for a long time before the operation is completed.

What I have Tried
    I opened the box up to check for dust. Its a pretty clean machine. CPU temperature is approx 40c according to BIOS system monitor. Several reboots have of course been tried. I have tried loading fail-safe defaults. Task manager shows no abnormal processes or excessively high usage for any processes.
    I have loaded msconfig and switched to minimal boot. This resulted in only a minor improvement.

Misc
    The problem is complicated in that this organisation is non-profit, and so I cannot simply try replacing parts until something improves. My take on the specifications is that this machine should run smoothly. I have the option to re-install with windows XP or with server 2003 again. The machine is intended to be used as a server, I was hoping to load MySQL onto it. The machine was pretty much unused for a long time before I arrived.

All suggestions welcome, thanks,
    Kris
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,757   +157

How about defragging the (C) hard drive and running a registry cleaner...
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.