Windows 7 64-bit Anytime Upgrade (Home Premium to Professional)

Status
Not open for further replies.

friend2u

I have programs that ran well on my XP PC. I can no loger run them on W7 64bit home premium. The "Anytime Upgrade" to Professional will enable XP mode however they say that "some" XP productivity programs will run using XP mode. I understand that the software is already on my computer and I am only buying a "key" to unlock the software and the whole thing is done in 10 minutes.

I am wondering if anyone has XP mode and how many programs they have been able to run in XP mode that would not run in W7. Also have you found some programs that wont run in XP mode? I am looking to run Adobe photoshop 7 and ArcSoft 5.5 photo editing software to name a few programs. It will cost me around 80 bucks to upgrade.

If you have a valid XP license, you can always use a third-party's virtual machine software. VMWare Player and VirtualBox are both free and will work fine with Home Premium. Even if you want to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional for XP Mode later on, at least you can get an idea of what to expect without spending any cash.

VMWare Player is very slick. I use it every day and I have no complaints at all.

Works... a bit kludgy, but it works... Didn't have a limitation on the business and Microsoft software we installed.
The problem is much different when using a 64 board and install, where a lot of things won't work right in 64 bit unless designed for it.

I run a dual boot machine: Windows XP Pro and Windows 7 Professional (32-bit)

I've only tried two programs in XP mode so far
NTI CD &DVD Maker 7 Platinum
Which won't run in Win 7 but works just fine in Win 7's XP mode

A DVD clone freeware tool i once found
Doesn't work in Win 7 or in Win 7 XP mode​
As to your specific requirements you might try googling for terms like "Adobe photoshop 7" "xp mode"
(and note the use of double quotes ""). For example it found this hit where someone wrote about Adobe PS 7 (and the dealer who sold it on Amazon)

4.0 out of 5 stars shipped early and works great
The PS7 was shipped ahead of schedule and was as advertised. I use it in XP mode on my windows7 machine, and it does what I need.

Why don't you check out the Adobe Photoshop Windows forum to see what the buzz is about PS-7 and Windows 7; http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop/photoshop_windows

I have Photoshop Elements 7 running on Win 7, both 32 and 64 bit versions. There is this disclaimer, it's a bit quirky but quite usable in the 32 bit version, (It's managing a huge catalog),

In Win 7 Pro 64, it installed perfectly and seems to run well, but ATM, I only have a couple of hundred photos imported.

With that said, PSE is supposed to be XP 32 bit only, but it is newer than your PS-7. Adobe is brutal about supporting or fixing in older versions of its programs, they want you to spring for the newer, even buggier version, so they can ignore fixing anything in that either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back