TechSpot

Windows 7 64 bit (no option for 64-bit color choice)

By OCZElite
Jan 31, 2010
  1. So i recentley installed windows 7 64bit and found it very nice indeed and very user friendly. Of course like everything, there is always a problem here in there. In my case its a small one i guess.

The problem i'm having with the 64bit system is i cannot select 64bit as a color choice. The only choices i get is 16bit and 32bit as a selection. Right now i'm using a Nvidia 9500GS Grpahics card which should be able to do 64bit. So is there something in the operating system i need to know about. Or i need a better card for the option of "64bit" display color to show up.

Any help would be awesome!

2. dustin_ds3000

dustin_ds3000 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 869   +8

there is no 64 bit color depth in windows that i know of, if you want more info about what color depth is then read this

Color depth wiki

3. OCZElite

OCZElite TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 33

I thought the reason we have 32bit and 64bit operating system is because of the color choice of 32bit and 64bit as a display output for colors. so what is the true meaning to 32bit and 64bit systems then?

4. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 3,435   +145

Ne he's right, there should only be 16 and 32, you should probably be using 32.

5. dustin_ds3000

dustin_ds3000 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 869   +8

the reason people get 64 bit operating system is so they can access more than 4 gigs of ram, with 32 bit operating system you are limited to around 3 gigs of ram

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.