Windows 7 64-bit nvidia video, keyboard, and sound problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundewzer

Right now I have windows 7 RC 64 up and running on my Alienware Aurora M9700 laptop with dual nvidia gforce go 7900 gs 512mb video cards.

Issue 1:
After install no sound. I tried every driver I could find most wouldn't install the ones that would didn't help. Tried old driver with compatability trouble shooting, nothing. Read that updates would fix problem and that they added Soundmax drivers. Updated, went to devcie manager, update drivers on "Multimedia Audio Controller", Cant find anything. Also in device manager there were two more unknow item, they are gone now but I think they were base system or something along those lines. Also when I go to customize taskbar "SMax4.exe" is there and I don't know why. As far as I can tell I uninstalled it.

When I use the drivers that use to work when I was running xp32, it runs install and at the end it says problem starting streamci.dll (three time), restart computer and get "No ADI codec driver is installed". Icon shows up in system tray but says "No SoundMAX audio present you cannot use SoundMax Control Panel" coming from a 32 bit system I didn't expect this one to work anyways. So I uninstall it.

When I try intalling vista 64 driver I get smwdm.sys not found, I found a set of driver with smwdm.sys included, moved to to the right folder and I get "the audio driver files do not support your computer hardware." I also tryed using the smwdm.sys from the old 32bit drivers, same problem.

Then I tried going around the install, went to update, choose, have disk, ADIHdAud.inf (tried 3 differnt ones with sizes of 36k, 296k, and 329k), installs "SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio" This device cannot start (code 10).

Issue 2:
This one is a trip, so everything works but the sound. I go to nvidia and download driver (I also tried the ones from windows update). Install works, restart, and after starting window screen the screen goes blank, not black but blank like it looses power. Now the weird part, if I hit the power button and put the laptop in sleep mode and then turn it back on everything come up great except now the keyboard doesn't work at all, no numlock, windows button, nothing. Now if I go to device manager it say "PCI standard ISA bridge" has a error, go to properties and it say previous instance is still in memory (Code 38)

So I am at an impass, please help me.

Casey

im not too familiar with windows 7 but...

since windows 7 isnt officially released, the driver support is not so big,

i would suggest you go go back to what ever (os) you had.

Wow that is alot of problems.

I assume your machine already had a 64-bit OS on it before Windows 7, otherwise your problem is right there and you need to get the 32-bit version.

It seems like you took all of the right steps towards fixing the drivers. I successfully installed Windows 7 32bit on 3 computers (all different brands) with no problems with drivers, so all I can tell you right now is to try and revert back to the OS you had before and see if your sound works correctly.

If it does, then it's obvious Windows 7 is the problem and drivers support for your specific needs have not been released yet.

I still think Windows 7 will surpass XP...

I agree, try installing a 32-bit version of Win7 and see if you get different results. Some of your hardware might not work correctly running 64-bit drivers. You could also try using a USB audio interface for the time being, until the driver support for Win7 becomes larger and more robust. Hard to say exactly what is happening with the keyboard, that's a little bizarre even for a notebook.

I but the 32 bit version of windows 7 on and I got the sound to work (as expected) but I have the exact same issue with the video card.

I did however I think that loosing the keyboard has to do with putting the computer to sleep and not the video card. What I can't figure out is why wakeing up from sleep turn the screen on. There has to be a work around for this. I check every setting I could find. With these driver when I put the computer to sleep it just doesn't wake up.

Right now I am running older drivers (really old) which I wouldn't mind but NVIDA control panel won't run. when I click on it, the computer thinks and then nothing happens. So SLI is turned off currently and I can't adjust anything :(

Any ideas?

Glad you got the sound working.

As for your video you should try and manually do it. If you have internet on your computer go to the Nvidea site and download the drivers for your card. If your computer does not have internet use another computer to download the setup file and transfer it over to yours.

Its never good to keep outdated driver's unless for some reason the new one is buggy,

The new drive is what causes the problem. After installing the new one, just after the start up screen partials fly in "Windows is Starting" and the the screen goes out. Everything works but It is like the monitor loses power.

I tried manually, through windows update, and letting NVIDIA find the right drivers. All cause the same problem.

Well if you are saying that a new drive is the problem then why are you worrying about video drivers? Sorry I may be getting lost.

Maybe reinstall Win 7 if you wont lose anything important.

Sorry the new drivers are what cause the problem, NVIDIA 179.48. After I install them I get the blank screen on start up. Then I have to boot to safe move and restore to before I installed them.

I know the new drivers are working though. After I put the computer to sleep an wake it up I have a mouse and everything works but the keyboard. Before I put it to sleep the keyboard works but there is nothing on the monitor.

I researched a number of problem with windows sleeping but can't find an answer on how to fix it. I know there is something I am missing here.

If the same problems happen after reinstall then I think it may just be plain incompatibility. Did you have these problems before you migrated to Win 7?

You said you used the drivers that worked with your XP install. So that means Win7 is the culprit. I am sure it will be fixed by the time it officially comes out. Until then I would have to recommend you go back to XP until that time comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back