Windows 7 and DirectX 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been looking for solutions to my DirectX problem practically all day and I've finally come to the end of things I can try. Here is the run-down:

I was gifted a brand new Acer Aspire 5517 laptop as an early Christmas present, and it came with Windows 7. After Vista I was a bit leery about anything other than XP but after doing some of my normal things, I thought it was great. Then I tried downloading some graphical games I play. I encountered some problems loading the game and after some troubleshooting I deduced it to be a problem with DirectX 11.

I downloaded the DirectX update straight from the Microsoft website but everytime it begun initializing the installation, I would get the same error: "A cabinet file necessary for installation cannot be trusted. Please verify the Cryptographic Services are enabled and the cabinet file certificate is valid.". I found a lot of websites advertising solutions for the problem and I methodically went through each one.

I've checked for any stray Windows Updates that needed installing - all installed, nothing helped.
I've checked the Cryptographic Service to make sure it is enabled - already enabled.
I've tried reinstalling DirectX - failure, cabinet error with the Cryptographic Services.
I've tried removing DirectX from my laptop before reinstallion - failure, just didn't work.
I've tried downloading DirectX Eradicator - failure, not compatible.
I've tried running sfc/scannow for anything wrong - did not find anything irregular.
I've tried downloading the DirectX Redist - cabinet errors.

I don't have anymore solutions up my sleeves and my patience has just about run out. If I leave out any necessary information I apologize, I am very tired. I really hope someone can help me.

While Windows 7 supports DirectX 11, not all graphics cards support it. I think only the Radeon HD 5xxx series cards support DirectX 11. Your laptop does not have one. Also, few games support DirectX 11 yet and even if you have a DirectX 11 supported game, it should still work with DirectX 10.

It's possible your laptop does not meet the minimum requirements for the games you are trying to install. Just because it is new or has Windows 7, does not mean it can play all or even any games. Evidently the specs for your model laptop can vary depending on the submodel so I don't what yours are.

You really can't uninstall it as it is integral to Windows 7. There should be no need anyway since it should be compatible with older versions of DirectX.

Whenever I try to download any Direct X though, it gives me that Cryptographic Services error then closes the download.

edit: More specifically it says "Extracting file failed. It is most likely caused by low memory (low disk space for swapping file) or corrupted Cabinet file.", even though low memory isn't the case. This error was given when trying to install Direct X 9 into the directx folder.

Since Windows 7 already comes with DirectX 11, maybe you don't need to worry about it. Run a dxdiag, and see what DirectX version shows.

It shows DirectX 11, but it's a problem if my graphics card isn't compatible with 11. Half of the reason I got this new laptop was for something I can game on.

Since currently only Radeon 5xxx series cards support DirectX 11, no laptop supports DX 11 at the moment. There is no software you can install to change that. Besides, I'm not so sure the specs for that laptop are particularly good for gaming anyway. Even though it is new doesn't mean it is suitable for gaming. Any games that support DirectX 11 coming out in the foreseeable future would be high end games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back