Windows 7 and Intel Active Management Technology drivers?

By pyromaster114
Dec 23, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I upgraded my Toshiba M700 Tablet PC to windows 7 last night.
    I was very VERY displeased to see that Toshiba (as far as I can see) has not put up all the drivers for Windows 7 on the driver page.
    I've found every single one except one of them:

It shows up in the device manager as "PCI Simple Communications Controller".
    Now, this is usually the modem. However, the modem is already installed. It shows up under "Modems" as "Toshiba Software Modem".

I looked up the Device ID and it's apparently something related to "Intel Active Management Technology".
    Whatever that is.

I have installed the chipset drivers for the computer supplied by Toshiba, and apparently this driver is not included in that package.
  2. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,580   +76

Yes with some drivers you can use XP or Vista drivers to work with Windows 7. Remember this is a newest OS and drivers availability is just playing catch-up to this OS.
  3. pyromaster114

pyromaster114 TechSpot Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 395

The problem is I can't find the driver for 64-bit XP either... the ID for the device is as follows:

VEN: 8086
    DEV: 2A04
    SUBSYS: 00011179
    REV: 03

I can't seem to find the XP 64-bit drivers to use.
  4. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,358   +167

Intel's Active Management Technology allows for remote management and support

My guess is you don't really need/want it anyway, so in which case i'd check BIOS to see if you can simply disable AMT

Otherwise, you'll need to try and download a version of Intel's Management Engine for your machine (also see here)

You might also try IntelĀ® Driver Update Utility. Maybe it can find the right version for you
  5. pyromaster114

What IS AMT anyways?
    I'm not sure I understand what it does exactly... or at all.
  6. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,358   +167

I've never used (nor fully understand) AMT myself but understand it to be a tool (specifically supported by hardware on the motherboard) for companies to manage/monitor/support the PCs on their network.

To quote intel
  7. pyromaster114

Wow like hardware spyware for a computer?
    Strange.
    And what a completely useless feature on my laptop.
  8. Canuck250

Canuck250 Newcomer, in training

random features are a selling feature these days
  9. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,035   +70

I fully Agree but I'll add one more bit sometimes totally 'useless' features for many users :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.