TechSpot

Windows 7 and XP Dual Booting

By icefall5
Jan 21, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am dual booting XP with Windows 7, and it is installed correctly. However, I wanted to stop the boot manager from loading every time I started the computer, so through 7 I turned it off via the advanced system settings. Now, I cannot access the boot manager even when using the keyboard shortcuts, and therefore cannot access my installation of Windows 7. What can I do?
  2. ElShotte

ElShotte TS Enthusiast Posts: 163

Run "msconfig", click on the "Boot" tab, select the Windows 7 and click "Set as default", which on restart should boot you into Windows 7.
  3. icefall5

icefall5 TS Rookie Topic Starter

My XP installation does not recognize my Windows 7 installation, nor is there an entry for it in my boot file or in msconfig. I'm on SP3 if it matters. Here's my boot file.
    I also have another question that I'll just post now rather than later. Once we get this problem fixed and I am able to access my Windows 7 installation again, how can I make it so that Windows Boot Manager does not show up at all at startup, but I have to access it by pressing a key (probably F8)? I want it to automatically load XP unless I press the key to open Windows Boot Manager and run Windows 7.

Thanks!
  4. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,367   +125

eh, I just switched to my Razer Arctosa keyboard, and it doesn't turn on or something in time for my bootloader!

Repeatedly pushing numlock scroolock and capslock produces no light until i get into windows XP.

Strangly i can get into the bios, though my keyboard lights still are not on.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.