Windows 7 boot time issue

RobFM

I have recently installed win7 64 bit. This was over Vista where it put all my old stuff in windows.old folder.

My boot time is 3 min 25 seconds which, from looking around is way too slow for the spec of my machine:

Athlon dual core 64 4200 2.2ghz
4G ram
Radeon x1950 pro 256mb

I have run Ccleaner to tidy the registry.
I have enabled quick boot in the bios.
Boots to HD first.
In msconfig:
Ticked "No gui boot"
timeout set to 3 seconds.
2 cores ticked

Any idea what else I can do?

When exactly does it slow down? After you see the background of your desktop or before?

In other words, where does it spend most of it's time loading?

Before the desktop shows. Once that shows it only takes a few seconds.

The longest time is when you see the win splash screen. I've tried stopping this from showing but it still stays on the black screen for the same amount of time.

CPU and motherboard look too old for Win 7 64-bit. Win XP would be better for that system. Can also get in 64-bit.

Two points - WinXP 64 bits did exist, but never, ever worked properly, and now never will.
Long boot times especially in Win 7, are not much of a bug-bear, as the OS hibernation works extremely well, so you are almost always up and running again in about 15 seconds. I go for many days or couple of weeks without an actual restart.

Two and a half year old thread.
Right, so how does it get to the top of the forum list ? In post#4.

Is there a case for automatic lock of a post after 1 year/18 months/2 years ? If someone has anything to add at that time, they can always give a link to the post?

Back