TechSpot

Windows 7 BSOD on new PC

By Maxaon
May 2, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I got an Aurora Alienware a couple of weeks ago and a couple of days ago I've started getting random BSODs in WIndows 7. I want to try and determine the source of the problem before taking the RMA route.

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 124
    BCP1: 0000000000000000
    BCP2: FFFFFA800AEA9028
    BCP3: 00000000B2000000
    BCP4: 0000000000010019
    OS Version: 6_1_7600
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 256_1

My specs are

Intel core i7 980X
    Alienware A00 Mobo BiOS v A07
    9GB 1333MHZ DDR3
    Radeon 5970 HD Gfx card.

Please help. I'm willing to run any reasonable diagnostics ,etc.

Attached Files:

2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,142   +31

Your error is 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and is described as "A fatal hardware error has occurred."

This error code and definition has replaced the older XP code 0x9C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION and though it is older the definition still is applicable: This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

Honestly, this is a very difficult error to work with because as it says a clear diagnosis rarely comes forth and I have never seen a minidump with either error codes give a definitive answer. I know IT techs that don't like working with it. What makes it so difficult is that it can be any hardware in your system -- and I mean any. Your dump simply cited hardware as the issue and nothing more definitive.

* Since this system is only two weeks old it must still be under warrenty. I would contact them, tell them your minidump was analyzed and give the 0x124 error code, but all that it cited was the issue is hardware.

*** Let them fix it. Please keep us updated and when they fix it it would be great if you could let us know what they found and fixed because a resolve with this error is really important to know. It will help others. Thanks.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.