Windows 7 BSOD, pfn_list_corrupt

veryconfused

I've been having this issue on my laptop for the last 10~ days. Out of the blue, my computer will bluescreen into PFN_LIST_CORRUPT, dump files, and then turn itself off. I contacted MSI Support two days ago and was told to do a factory reset. I did a factory reset, and the problem appeared fixed, but just resurfaced. I'm thinking it could be something in the dozens of Windows Updates that were installed last night, potentially a driver issue, but I'm not sure. If someone could help me interpret this, I'd be really grateful.

Things I Have Already Done:
-I have run Windows Memory Diagnostic twice, it did not show any issues either time.
-I have done a factory reset of my operating system.
-I tried to copypaste the .dmp file to my desktop and then attach it, but this site didn't seem to allow it. Any advice on that would also be appreciated.

Here's the text I got after the bluescreen:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name:BlueScreen
OS Version:6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID:4105

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode:4e
BCP1:0000000000000099
BCP2:00000000000651D4
BCP3:0000000000000002
BCP4:00000000000651D2
OS Version:6_1_7601
Service Pack:1_0
Product:768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\010613-37565-01.dmp
C:\Users\Jasper\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-70730-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

[SIZE=26px]PFN_LIST_CORRUPT[/SIZE][SIZE=26px][/size][SIZE=26px]

The Windows memory test is not very good. Download Memtest86 version 4.20 .iso fie and burn it to a CD or DVD. Boot the computer with this disk. Run Memtest86 for at least 7 passes. No errors are allowed...
http://www.memtest.org/
You post menidumps by going to C:\windows\minidump. Minidump files have a .dmp extension. Select all the .dmp files and right-click sending the files to a compressed(zipped)folder. Upload that folder as a file here[/size]

Here's the minidump. I'll need to burn the disk to use Memtest86, but I should be able to do that tomorrow. Thanks.

Attachments

• mindump.zip
    19.6 KB · Views: 4
The minidump shows what we already know:
[SIZE=26px]PFN_LIST_CORRUPT[/SIZE][SIZE=26px][/size][SIZE=26px][/size][SIZE=26px]

Could be a hard drive issue too. What antivirus program are you running?[/size]

Before the hardware reset, I ran Avira. After the reset, I'm running Microsoft Security Essentials. I'm literally just in the process of running memtest, I'll report back when it's done.

Okay, the version of memtest (4.20 .iso) that I thought would work, didn't work. When I went into the boot menu and selected the PIONEER drive, the BIOS paused, then offered me the standard choice between Windows 7 and Ubuntu. I checked, and the BIOS prioritizes disks. I assume this means the disk I burned was not, in fact, bootable.
Is there a specific way to burn a bootable disk, or will an empty disk with a single .iso file work just as well? My Google searches on this issues have proven somewhat ineffective (although I did try using the Nero demo, which didn't let me burn any ISOs because (apparently) no disks of size <600MB were found...)

If properly burned, Memtest86 version disk will be bootable. Windows 7 has a built-in ability to burn .iso files. Remove Nero, it will only confuse things even more

The EVENT VIEWER will contain ERRORS - - look for DISK errors
Boot into SAFE MODE to reduce processes and cpu usage *may* give you more time to investigate.

A different bluescreen message just appeared, perhaps it can help pin down the specific issue. Attached are all three minidumps that have occurred on the fresh install.
Memtest hasn't turned up any errors yet, but it had only run for a few minutes. I'm running it again, and updates will be given as errors occur.

Attachments

• minidumps.zip
    122.7 KB · Views: 2
Still looks like a memory issue, and because it is a fresh OS install that kind of rules out a hard drive issue. After Memtest86 runs for at least 7 passes with no errors, we might look at the bios settings

Memtest has not yet completed the first pass, but has already detected two memory errors. It does appear to be a hardware issue. Is now the time to send it in for hardware repairs, or are there further diagnostics to be done?
I'll leave memtest running overnight, and see what other errors are revealed in the morning.

Any errors in memtest86 are not good. You can try testing each module separately to find out which one is bad and replace the bad memory module. No additional troubleshooting is necessary

Back