Windows 7 can't see theme pictures anymore

Scott Mercier

Using Windows 7 64 bit Professional not able to see Theme Pictures Anymore. I have spent hours and hours trying every fix for this and I have read many fixes here over the years. I know have registered and joined, please help.

Windows 7 has the ability to use Themes and I have from day one. You cans elect Windows versions, versions from Bing or even use your own picture folder. I for some reason can not use any form of themes. It wont show any pictures of the single them or multi pictured ones. I can not even right click a picture and "set as desktop background" it doesn't appear.

Now I can change Themes using solid colors that works. When I use a theme, they often have a Aero see through color that you can see change in the tool bar from one shade to another. You can see those changes and hear sounds when you select any of the themes but still background is the last solid color I chose.

Hi Scott Mercier :wave:

Welcome to
logo-rss.png
:grinthumb

You can read how to post a new thread in this Guide.

Before posting you should read all the Posting Guidelines.

To access technical support you may go to the Forums.

Many users like to post system specs in their Profile.

System Specs are always helpful when you seek support, (see the first two suggestions).
And helpers may ask that you post some of your specs in your thread.

You can access many other online TechSpot guides Here.

Enjoy your Stay :)

Windows 7 does not have a repair feature like XP has. It has a start up repair and a memory test. You may have to do a fresh Windows 7 install. McAfee and AVG are less than good these days. Try free Comodo Internet Security and Superantispyware before you do any thing further

Windows 7 can repair- Put your 7 disc in while Windows is running. Choose to update your computer to Windows 7.

Alright I'll be canceling my subscription to McAfee, my issue is not fixed but McAfee found nothing with scan.

Super Anti Spyware found over 600 ad-ware and bad files! Are you kidding me!

Stay tuned~!

I know it is really odd that a free program works better than a $40 something program, but it is true. People tell me all the time that their antimalware programs found nothing, but they still have odd issues with their computers... good luck, and let us know how things turn out

I then used Comodo after and they found three more threats!

I still have no themes but have definitely learned a lot and benefited from the forums here.

So far in this mystery I found I had 5 Microsoft updates waiting, I have them set to automatically download so that is a bit confusing.

I am getting that up to date and also I finally found a post in Microsoft with the same issue.

Please note below:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/themes-stopped-working-stuck-on-black-desktop/4a361f9f-a8da-42e3-b3de-f028b871c6f5

Download and run mgadiag.exe (Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool) from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Then click on Continue button to create validation repprt, just copy it and paste here to rectify the actual problem.

Windows 7 can repair- Put your 7 disc in while Windows is running. Choose to update your computer to Windows 7.

Please note this is not a good recommendation, I tried this and did not follow through after reading directions, this would be the same as reformatting!:rolleyes:

Thanks for the update and info Scott. As far as the Windows 7 repair goes, I'll stick with my original thoughts on the subject. Are you saying that your copy of Windows 7 is not genuine?

No it's genuine, I'm saying I tried putting in the DVD for repair like the other person said. i then read the instructions and no where does it offer a repair. It would have reformatted my PC.

"Windows 7 does not have a repair feature like XP has. It has a start up repair and a memory test. You may have to do a fresh Windows 7 install"...

I'll stick with my original statement here regarding a Windows 7 repair feature

Back