Windows 7, connecting to server issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComputerGuy55

Windows 7, connecting to server issue[RESOLVED]

Ok so, I don't know a whole lot about networking and servers, not my expertise.. But if someone knows a fix/could explain it to me I'm sure I could understand..

So the problem is, here at work we fix peoples computers, I'm a technician, and we got a new laptop in, just set it up, it installs Windows 7 64Bit Home Premium.

It is under the workgroup: WORKGROUP (default) I've tried switching it to MSHOME (XP's default) Didn't make a difference to my problem. This is the first W7 computer I have had a problem with regarding servers.

And I cannot seem to connect to the server with the username/password I always use. I try it on other machines (other W7, XP, Vista) I connect fine, can see the Data. With this laptop however, I type the Username and the Password and it comes back: "Login Failure: unknown user name and or bad password."

I have made sure to type it slow, properly, and without caps lock or anything. Made sure all the keys were typing the correct letters/numbers.

When it fails to connect to the server it gives me 2 options. either type the password again, logging in under OWNER-PC\***** (OWNER-PC being the computer name, logging in under the username of ***** which isn't the actual name just, example) and I can try another password.

Second option is to type another user name and password, tried both ways, neither lets me in.

I get the internet fine on it but can not connect to the server.

I've tried a few different things such as, like I mentioned, switching the workgroup, tried wireless and ethernet, switching the network from being on "Public" to "Home" tried leaving and rejoining a Homegroup. Nothing seems to make a difference and I'm stuck

Any help is greatly appreciated, the more I understand networking the easier this becomes.

EDIT: Fixed itself after a reload. I guess for some reason the networking drivers/files weren't working properly on the first installation..? But I reloaded off the Hard Drive partition and it seems to be working fine now.

EDIT: Fixed itself after a reload. I guess for some reason the networking drivers/files weren't working properly on the first installation..? But I reloaded off the Hard Drive partition and it seems to be working fine now.
Well, thanks for the feedback!

just an fyi comment:
Win/7 has a much better firewall and implements three profiles
  • Home private Lan
  • Public
  • Work
but your issue for user/pwd is(was) independent of FW.

Yeah, Windows 7's networking is a lot more stable then vista's as well as its firewall features, this issue just struck me as odd, because I had other machines like it (And different) getting on fine, and it was a brand new laptop so I didn't see why it would be having a problem.

Only ever had Vista laptops have problems even SEEING the servers a lot of the time. But a reload seemed to fix the problem, get onto the server fine now, nothing was different in means of how the installation went so I can only assume something went wrong on the first installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back