Windows 7 crossover cable networking problem

Hi, I have a problem networking 2 computers via a crossover cable connection both running Windows 7. I know it is not a hardware problem as I can network the same computers from different drives running XP. When I network via XP I manually assign IP numbers on TCP/IP to avoid conflicts and I can then share folders and internet connection. On Windows 7, I have tried both automatically assigning and manually assigning IPv4 but cannot either share folders nor share internet connection. Any ideas?

Sharing folders and internet connections are two completely different things.

Other than the need to have compatible IP settings, you need to check the workgroup name, enable file and print sharing, firewall settings. As a test, try to ping one computer from the other. If that does not work I would look at the firewall on the Windows 7 machine. disable it if needed just to see if that is what it is. Once you can ping you can rule out any connectivity problems and look at Windows settings.

Check whether ip connectivity is ok. To do that you need to send ping command. if it success but file sharing not working means you have to check whether file and printer sharing is enable, firewall ports (commonly port 443) open, sometimes it will be virus issue (Ex. Conflicker worm) to avoid it, use tool like MS. Security essential, So you must trace one by one issues. If there is any error message i can help u

Hello, thanks for your replies. I can ping from the host to the client computer, even

with both Windows firewalls switched on, but cannot ping from the client to the

host, even with both firewalls switched off. Both the workgroup names are the

same, both have enabled file and print sharing. I have created shared folders on

both computers. When I click on homegroup on either computer I get the message,

'There are no other people in the homegroup'. It is not a virus problem as these are

both fresh installs of Windows 7, Windows 7 running on both host and client.

Back