Windows 7 explorer.exe crashes when right click, "shlwapi.dll " , "shell32.dll" & often NO Crash

By wilfriedd
May 13, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hello , I'm A bit Disappointed !! ( First of all, I speak only french so I will try the best to explain In english correctly)

I've a problem since 2 days , when I try to right click in the explorer window (right click on c: or other support), I got a error which involve " explorer.exe "..... And when I look for the details, it says "shlwapi.dll" sometimes, other times " shell32.dll" ... and sometimes no problem like Now ..

when it freezes ,it tells me to restart the explorer.exe , and when I select it, explorer.exe starts normally (it causes no CPU LOAD like 90% or more).. I've tried

1°)Sfc /scannow (no error )
    2°) Repair Windows (No error)

3°) Checked for viruses (no virus) ,

4°) Scandisk (found some errors and repaired , but still no works)

This problem appears suddently .....And I noticed one thing , I dont know if its related with this problem,

**When I restarted windows , the First screen (with Names of disk ,name of Motherboard) appears "Pixelated" ...... and I could't read anything... So I shut down my computer and restarted , it powers on for 2 seconds and shut down alone....then it does again for 2 seconds and then shut down....5 times....I unplugged my Pc , cleaned etc......But it does it again 2 times, the third time started normally .. thank you

Ps : still no problem with explorer.exe when I right click for the moment :-(

EDIT: it does it again !!!!!!!!!!!!!! "shlwapi.dll" INVOlved
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,451   +135

3. wilfriedd

wilfriedd Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanx , I will do that !!!!!! First!! You think that its's memory problem?
  4. Tmagic650

Memory is the only thing you haven't checked to this point...
  5. wilfriedd

I'm testing now.....there is only 2 passes for the moment.......no errors....but I heard that even if your memory passes Memtest....you cant be sure there isnt a problem...true?
  6. wilfriedd

I'll come back tomorrow........ I'm at the Third Pass only .....after 6 Hours !!!!!......I know I got 2x 4Go.....but its too loooooooonnnggg!!!
  7. wilfriedd

After 16 hours...only 7 passes......no errors........
  8. Tmagic650

"When I restarted windows , the First screen (with Names of disk ,name of Motherboard) appears "Pixelated"...
    Are there any yellow exclamation points in the device manager? This may be a problem with the video driver. What version of Windows are you running?
  9. wilfriedd

Windows 7 64 , no yellow exclamation !!
  10. Tmagic650

Still getting "Pixelated"?
  11. wilfriedd

Nope , it does that just 2 times, when I rebooted my comp , now It's good......But I found something useful, I mean I downloaded a software called "ShellExView" , which can disable 1 by 1 shells extensions to see "the One which causes explorer.exe freezes"... So , 1 by 1 , I disable items, and I found that the faulty shell was " Nvidia display shell extensions".... So , I enabled it to see if the problem came back again ....but surprisingly ,no crash!!! ?? since this morning?? I can't undertand...... the problem may appears anytime.....

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.