Windows 7 - Feel so stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have looked everywhere for the answer but everything that I am reading seems to be conflicting

I bought windows 7 professional at a student upgrade price, hoping to upgrade from windows vista home premium to windows 7, it said you can do it with a clean install, however i stupidly assumed that the upgrade product key would still work?

I did the clean install and am obviously stuck with the 30-day installation before activation of windows 7 - is there any way that i can use my windows 7 product key after this fresh install?

Otherwise, is there any way i can return my unused windows 7 professional (was downloaded and the product key remains unused) and get an upgrade copy of windows 7 home premium?

I feel so stupid about this, so any help at all would be massively appreciated.

Sam

Yes simply reinstall Vista as Archean told you and do an upgrade on it and it should would well. As you bought and upgrade version so this is the only way that it will work

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for your replies, however i didn't think that you could upgrade from vista HP to windows 7 Pro, doesn't that require a clean install, which then my product key wont work with? - i've found a link which seems interesting...but i cant post it as i have a low post count... - if you google... zeroization upgrade from vista home premium to windows 7 pro - its the top link.

Sam

Seems interesting. You may try it if you want so. I never try something like that prefer to get one original and paid.

same - i don't mean to be breaking the law and I don't know the rules on this forum to talk about it - but i do technically have the right to use upgrade so im not sure that i am breaking any rules. but i dont think that you can upgrade from HP to pro?

Unfortunately I've i think you bought the wrong windows to upgrade from your Vista HP as you noted as well; Cross-SKU upgrades as it describes are not supported.

If you got it with the student price (should have been $30, then it sounds like the right version) you can use it, it does require a clean install though. You may have to call Microsoft to get it activated though because you shouldn't be having any problems. I've put Win 7 Pro 64bit that was the downloadable student version on 3 different people's computers as a clean install with no issues at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back