Windows 7 Full vs Upgrade versions

Status
Not open for further replies.
My question relates to the difference between the upgrade and full versions of Win 7 Home Premium. I have Vista Home Premium which I loaded onto my computer from the upgrade version. However I did a custom install at that time (so I could format the drive) and then not entering the product # nor activating it. Then going back and doing another install as an upgrade and putting in the product # and activating it.
I am using the 32 bit version now and want to try the 64 bit version of Win 7. So I need to do a custom install again to format the drive (I would like to delete partitions and recover unallocated space prior to Win 7 install). I think from what I've read that this is possible using the upgrade version of Win 7 (however, can you upgrade from an upgraded Vista). Does the above procedure still work in Win 7?
I don't want to buy the cheaper Win 7 upgrade if I need the full version. What is the real difference between the upgrade and full versions of Win 7?

Thanks

I am banking on this working for 7 too, because I'm in the same situation. Its probably going to be about 5 hours before I have time to attempt this. If we don't have a reply by then I'll post back with what happened on my attempt.

The only difference in the Upgrade and Full versions is that the Upgrade version requires you to have a legal copy of Windows XP or Vista. There is no such limitation on the Full versions.

Since you have Vista Home Premium, I'd say the Upgrade version would be the best option for you. You can get it even cheaper ($30) if you're a student in a university that qualifies for the discount. More info on that here.

Look here for more info on the Windows 7 Upgrade editions.

Version?

Thanks for the info. But I seem to remember trying to upgrade one time (I don't remember if it was WinME or some other version) and it required a full install disk because I was trying to upgrade an "Upgrade". I don't think they give you an option of checking the CD drives for the full versions anymore?

So does this mean because i have not registered my xp as i just installed it and have like 20days left - that i cant just upgrade to windows 7 i need the full version?

Thanks for the info. But I seem to remember trying to upgrade one time (I don't remember if it was WinME or some other version) and it required a full install disk because I was trying to upgrade an "Upgrade". I don't think they give you an option of checking the CD drives for the full versions anymore?

Upgrades do NOT work like that anymore.

An upgrade simply means you already own a previous version of windows.

The key and DVD are 'normal' versions that will work first time from a clean install, you do not require 2 installs (just LOL at that bit) nor do you require to have your old OS key at hand to type it in during the install process.

Do not confuse 'upgrade' with 'patch'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back