Windows 7 HDD problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zsj

I just installed win7 ultimate on my 80gb drive (don't ask how I got it) and found out that my 160gb drive is messed up. I cant boot off it anymore, it had Xp on it, and I had my user account password protected, so now I cant transfer files over to my new install.

I tried giving myself permission, but it keeps saying I dont have permission to access the file/s. I had 30gb+ data that I can NOT live without as long as I have a computer.

now, my main problem is that I can't boot off that drive anymore, I went into the bios and set it to boot off of it, but it says something like Missing bootmg press ALT+CTRL+DEL to restart. and usually when I boot off of my 160gb drive I get a boot selection screen, that doesnt happen anymore.

I really dont care if I cant get my 160gb drive to boot anymore, all I want is to be able to gain 100% permission to it so I can get my files back, and ultimately, reformat it and use it as storage.

Any help would be GREAT, but since win7 isnt even RTP yet, I dont think I will get much help, let alone replies.

Thanks!
Z

I'm confused. :confused:

Zsj said:
160gb drive is 100% inaccessable.

Zsj said:
"I had my user account password protected, so now I cant transfer files over to my new install..." "I tried giving myself permission, but it keeps saying I dont have permission to access the file/s"

If your drive is 100% inaccessible, Windows will tell you that your hard drive is corrupted / inaccessible (not that you don't have permission/access rights). If it is telling you that you don't have permission, it is able to read the your data well enough to read permissions... which is the confusing part.

What is the exact error message when you try to open the drive?

I have just figured out how to access my folders, but when I give myself permission to access my files it says "You need permisison to perform this action You require permission from the computer's administrator to make changes to this file"

I am the administrator of my computer, so I dont know why its saying this to me.

And yes, that is confusing, I meant that I dont have access to my files, thus Inaccessable.

That didn't work either, I gave myself all the permission I could, and I still get the Access is denied message. this is extremely troubling, and this could mean I will have to throw my computer out, I'm Serious, ALL my programs I had I was collecting for a good 2-4 years, and some of them are games that wont ever be downloaded again. but I'm not discussing that.

So, thanks for your help Rick, will persist at this problem all night and I WILL NOT sleep until I get ALL my programs into a "safe" place.

I also tried making a new account with administration, still same thing.

I WILL NEVER STOP. thats gunna be my new quot !

I WILL SUCCEED! ...........SOMEDAY.

Funny you should mention that :) I was just thinking about that, then lost my mind thinking about my future life and business, and what would happen to it if I lost all this data. HA, maybe I am a "Nerd".

Will look into that. I'll edit this post later.

EDIT!!: Alright, Good news and BAD news... good news first: I Downloaded Recuva which is a FREEWARE program that recovers deleted/undeleted files and puts them in a folder on your MAIN HDD that WORKS. So it took 20 minutes to recover 40gb files, Now im happy. bad news: the bad news is that the drive is still messed up (not really bad) but I dont care, Im reformating that drive!

Thanks A HUGE lot Punkid for reminding me to try a recovery program! and thanks to you Rick for helping me as well.

Sometimes you must use programs to do the job, not skill.. DANGIT I really was hopping to fix this by hand.

Cheers! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back