Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade to Windows 7 Professional using normal W7 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't seem to find an answer to this question on this forum, other forums or Google.

I have an unused Windows 7 Professional upgrade package that was slated for a Vista PC that failed before I could install it. Now I have purchased a replacement PC with Windows 7 Home Premium.
The question is:
Can I use this normal upgrade for upgrading to Windows 7 Professional?
or can this only be done Windows 7 anytime?

Well, I have good news.
With my normal "Windows 7 Professional 64 bit upgrade" that I previously purchased, I was in fact able to upgrade "Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit". It was straight forward as follows:
Go to Start >> Control Panel >> All Control Panel Items >> Windows Anytime Upgrade
Click Enter an upgrade key
I entered my "Windows 7 Professional 64 bit upgrade" key, not a "Windows Anytime Upgrade" key and it accepted without question. Then the upgrade started, rebooted twice and then Windows 7 Professional was running. From there I activated "Windows 7 Professional 64 bit". All went well and I received the Genuine mark.
This all took place on a brand new Sony Vaio VPCEB23FX

If you copy the image from DVD to SDHC 4GB or larger you can install anything you want but you don't select upgrade you do a full install and have Windows search for the update now than after. You stick the SDHC into your card reader and that's it under the current Windows in your case Vista or Windows 7 Starter? No DVD is needed and the unit will reboot and install the OS in one shot. Faster your system the faster the process.

Even faster as I learned in a Windows 7 admin class is to copy an iso image to your hard disk and install directly from the iso image. We performed this in the admin class last summer with the beta version.

Well the trick is to copy the DVD image using a Virtual CD/DVD then use the Xcopy in the prompt screen to transfer all the data over SDHC. This is how it's done. The virtural CD/DVD driver needs to be installed prior on another system could host the files. It does work here's video showing the process. Video is here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back