Windows 7 install on new SSD -- system reserved assigned its own drive letter?

gubar

Hi,

first, I have searched a lot on the net and seen that this has happened to a lot of other people. In my case, it is System Reserved (G:), and is using 71.9mb of 99.9mb space.

Other users are discussing removing it, merging it with (C:) and so on. But my question is - can I just leave it as it is, with no ill effects? I'm not bothered by it, as long as nothing has\will go wrong.

thanks for any answers,

gubar

I have this also. It is not an issue for me and I don't see why it would cause ill effects. Cheers.

Hi,

thanks for that. I just wondered because when I googled it, loads of people seemed to want to remove it, or think that something unusual was up. I was hoping they were just over-reacting :)

thanks,

gubar

Hi,

thanks for that. I just wondered because when I googled it, loads of people seemed to want to remove it, or think that something unusual was up. I was hoping they were just over-reacting :)

thanks,

gubar
Some people get paranoid about stuff like that. It is all good though.

Unless you want to wreck your Windows installation I highly advise you leave it as it is, as it is important to the running of the OS. By default it's a hidden partition and isn't assigned a drive letter. For some reason it has been which is why you can now see it.

To remove the drive letter from System Reserved:

1. Click start and type disk management in the search box, then press return
2. Highlight the System Reserved partition by selecting it.
3. Right click over the drive and select change drive letter and paths
4. Click on remove button
5. If warning appears, press OK/continue
6. Close disk management and reboot the computer to finish.

Back