Windows 7 Install Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

WileeDarklight

I've got windows 7 x32 Pro installed and realize that my comp has extra RAM not being used (cause of the 3.25gb limit) so im trying to upgrade to the windows 7 Pro x64 but i get an error while trying to start the ISO. (yes it is a legit ISO of Windows 7). What gives? I'm sure I can run the 64 bit version, cause my friend has the identical laptop as me and has it installed, which means it supports x64 OS's.

You can't upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit. You have to do a fresh install.

ok, but i also have an older partition with vista on it, and it wont run from that either. would that make a difference?

and for fresh install: should i just format the partition with 7 on it?

If you have a valid partition to install it to that doesn't have any data you need to retain then you should be able to boot from your Windows 7 DVD and install to that partition just fine. The installation will modify your boot loader to give you access to both of your Windows 7 installs. If you format your current Windows 7 partition you will lose all the data that currently exists on it - but if that's not a concern then it's probably your best bet.

You should just use Windows Easy Transfer to do a backup of your documents & application settings then do a format followed by a fresh install. Once you've also re-installed your applications, use Windows Easy Transfer to restore your documents & application settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back