TechSpot

Windows 7 Install Problem

By WileeDarklight
Nov 20, 2009
  1. I've got windows 7 x32 Pro installed and realize that my comp has extra RAM not being used (cause of the 3.25gb limit) so im trying to upgrade to the windows 7 Pro x64 but i get an error while trying to start the ISO. (yes it is a legit ISO of Windows 7). What gives? I'm sure I can run the 64 bit version, cause my friend has the identical laptop as me and has it installed, which means it supports x64 OS's.

2. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,358   +283

You can't upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit. You have to do a fresh install.

3. WileeDarklight

WileeDarklight TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 41

ok, but i also have an older partition with vista on it, and it wont run from that either. would that make a difference?

and for fresh install: should i just format the partition with 7 on it?

4. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,358   +283

If you have a valid partition to install it to that doesn't have any data you need to retain then you should be able to boot from your Windows 7 DVD and install to that partition just fine. The installation will modify your boot loader to give you access to both of your Windows 7 installs. If you format your current Windows 7 partition you will lose all the data that currently exists on it - but if that's not a concern then it's probably your best bet.

5. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

You should just use Windows Easy Transfer to do a backup of your documents & application settings then do a format followed by a fresh install. Once you've also re-installed your applications, use Windows Easy Transfer to restore your documents & application settings.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.