Windows 7 install "refresh"

L6Griffin

What does Refresh do in the Win7 install?

Does it just delete the file (i.e. E5 at the beginning of the filename), wipe the directory clean, or???

I had my first problem with Win7, and the auto recovery was no help. In my old age and senility I decided to see what reinstalling Win7 would do. 8-[ For some strange reason I thought "Refresh" would refresh the files, wrong. I'd like to recover the files if possible, any suggestions.

Thanks in advance, Larry

Hi,

The best alternative than a fresh install again and again is following this steps :
1. Fresh install your Win 7.
2. Put all your basic programs such as antivirus, office, drivers, etc. just as you like and any needed updates available at that time.
3. After you are finish with all of that create a complete partition image of your master partition (where your Win7 is installed) and store the image somewhere.
4. If in the future you need or feel that you want or need to fresh install wour windows, just replace your current windows with the image you have created earlier.
5. After using your stored image, update everything and create a new image for next use. BTW : delete your old image and keep the new image.

For recovering files, software like Recuva might help, though I'd advise running a deep scan overnight on it if possible.

As for a quick refresh in future, I recommend the above, but keep the image on separate hard disk to the Windows installation. After all, if you're hard disk fails, having the image on that failed disk isn't going to help you much!

Thank you for the responses.

Kirstain good advice. I've become too complacent over the years having had few problems with Windows. A terminal with a hard disk is about all the use I give a PC these days. I do some photo editing and those are the files I need to save.

Leeky, Recuva looks good. I haven't used the machine since my screw up, hopefully I've minimized the damage. I'll install another HD and run Recuva overnight and see what I get.

Best Regards,
Larry

When using recuva, make sure you use it in advanced mode: when it starts scanning for the first time, stop it and click on the 'switch to advanced mode' tab, click on options and a new tab opens, click on actions tab and mark all check boxes in there except 'show zero byte files'. Click ok. This makes your recovery more meaningful. Then go and click on scan button to start scan.

Thank you for the advice. I've brought the system up so far to check the BIOS. Which tells me I'm maxed out on the drives. I just ordered another from JDR today and will have it by this Friday.
Larry

Back