Windows 7 Install with backup and restore features

By fluffykitten
Jan 18, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I will be installing Windows 7 professional upgrade over vista, includes backup and restore software.

I am doing this install for someone, he is asking a lot about backing up weekly. Does Windows 7 do this or will I be using some third party software for his backups?

How about the install/upgrade over vista, is this pretty straight forward where he wants to keep his files.
  2. strategic

strategic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,274

Windows 7 Pro does have its own backup utility.
    You can set a schedule and what to backup.
    As for installing over Vista, you should backup the HDD first.
  3. fluffykitten

fluffykitten Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 129

I will look into the backup utility Windows 7 pro provides. As for backing up the HDD, what method should I go. Like if a tech guy came to my house, how and what would he do for the backup. This is also just a precaution right, the upgrade to Windows 7 should not have data lost.
  4. strategic

strategic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,274

Yes the backup should only be a precaution, th upgrade shouldn't delete anything from the HDD since it is not formatting it.
    Vista, just like Windows 7, should have a backup utility (depending which version) I would just backup using that utility, or, just simply copy any files you know you need to an external HDD.
    Personally, when the backup utility isn't available, I just copy the whole HDD without the Windows directory because it's always easy to delete what you don't want later.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.