Windows 7 mouse freezing issues

bj00uk

Hi, I would appreciate if someone could help me please.

The problem I have has been going on since about the time I formatted my PC and reinstalled Windows 7.
(Had issues with BSOD on install because of my graphics card seem to have been slighty dislogded). (See https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic160389.html)

Okey the problem is my mouse keeps freezing up after a while, and after moving it or clicking a couple times it works again. When this happens I get either a beep or the usb disconnect/connect sound (depending on which mouse is being used).

Current using Bluetooth Apple Magic Mouse (connecting to a generic bluetooth dongle) this makes a beep when it freezes.
The USB Wireless (Logitech Dongle) Logitech Mouse I had before this made disconnect/connect sound.
The USB Wired Mouse before the Logitech also made disconnect/connect sound.

I have tried to work around this using several methods but have had no luck.

Steps taken to try and rectify issue;

• Changed mouse, I am on my 3th mouse now. I will not change for another again, the mouse is not the problem :)
  • Tried all the mouses on other computers where they all worked fine.
  • I have switched ports on numerous occasions, (all other device work with no problem, {keyboard, touch screen monitor, external hard drive(s), usb flash})
  • I have removed conflicting hardware and ensured only on mouse is plugged in (also removed touchscreen cable from monitor)
  • I have gone to Device Manager and set USB Root Hub and Power Management tab and unchecked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" on all devices,
  • I have removed drivers for all other mouse's used previously,
  • I have disabled C1E as this uses some power saving methods,
  • I have check Event Viewer (which only has networking errors which all forward to my network drive)
  • I have run System File Checker [SFC] {sfc /scannow}

I need to know whether Windows 7 is the issue or whether its the usb ports.

Can anyone please help me, as it is now really bothering me, I can't even play Battlefield games :(

Thanks

I know what you mean, this is a very weird problem. Every where I look online suggest steps I have already taken :(

I have followed that guide but it makes no difference.

It doesn't seem to be the USB Ports as everything else works fine, and if Windows was the problem "sfc" should have sorted it out, if I am right?

Regards

hi i noticed you used the magic mouse and i remember reading somewhere that they don't work with windows maybe that's caused the problem, just a suggestion :)

if Windows was the problem "sfc" should have sorted it out, if I am right?

Well, yes and no, sfc only checks the protected file system of windows so it won't correct any driver issues which is what this is most likely to be.

You could try to find if there is an update for your bios or mobo chipset drivers.

Removing the CMOS battery to return the Bios to default might also fix it.

Running a "Repair" install might also do the trick.

@secretassasin69
You are kind of right about that, but what you read most likely referred to the "Magic" Multi Touch functions, as Windows does not automatically recognise those functions.

This has since also been solved by Uneasy Silence who found drivers in a Mac OS BootCamp Update for on older mac's and made it available that for all Windows machines :)(source: http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2009/11/14588/) (It all works with my brothers PC and laptop perfectly)
Thanks for the suggestion though :)

@Mark56
If don't think its the drivers as it would not explain why my standard generic mouse had errors a few days after a fresh format.
I have already updated my BIOS about 2 weeks ago aswell as my chipset drivers. I reset my BIOS using CMOS before I decided to update.
I think this maybe the only solution, I hope it is Windows I don't want to get another computer yet :p

I think I may try a Repair install or a Full Format install soon, too busy at the moment so haven't got enough time to backup my latest data.

new member to the usb disconnect beep

my problem start 3 months ago and windows 7 was install in 2009. beep was once a week now 4 to 6 times a day. swapped out everything one at a time and no change. beep and mouse freezes for 2 sec swapped out mth bd and now the beep freezes the mouse. windows 7 was an upgrade from vista and Dell will not really help unless we go back to vista and see if the problem is still there looking for your solution

Bumorabbit, you need to start your own thread to get any answers. You should also explain more clearly what you mean by "beep", your question is difficult to understand.

@bj00uk

Hi, May be I am replying late and this might sound very weird but I have a question. Do you by any chance have a refrigerator or some automatic electric appliance which needs high power to run in the same room? Are you using UPS? coz i found out that my laptop's usb mouse freezes as my fridge starts to run (automatic) from stop mode. I am just guessing this might be the case with yours like mine. Has this problem been solved? Best of luck :)

new member to the usb disconnect beep

my problem start 3 months ago and windows 7 was install in 2009. beep was once a week now 4 to 6 times a day. swapped out everything one at a time and no change. beep and mouse freezes for 2 sec swapped out mth bd and now the beep freezes the mouse. windows 7 was an upgrade from vista and Dell will not really help unless we go back to vista and see if the problem is still there looking for your solution
Believe it or not, it's the scroll wheel settings. Look in control panel, mouse, then wheel. Change the number in vertical and horizontal from 3 to a 1. There, you should be free from the headache now.

Back