Windows 7 networking issues

By Sean Suttie
May 30, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hi all,

Hi I was trying to setup a three computer to share file without using windows homegroup and without needing a username and password to connect the PCs together. (2 PC running windows 7 1 running windows XP)

PCs setup I have files on one of the windows 7 PC that I have set of sharing and have connected both of the other PCs but I need to connected to the files I need the admin username and password before I can connect to them, this is what I am trying to solve.

Here is my advanced sharing settings setup:

(home or work) network discovery - ON, file and print sharing - ON, public folder sharing - ON, file sharing connections - 40-56 bit encryption (this is for the windows XP PC), password protection sharing - OFF, HomeGroup connection - recommend.

(Public) network discovery - ON, file and print sharing - ON, public folder sharing - ON, file sharing connections - 40-56 bit encryption (this is for the windows XP PC), password protection sharing - OFF.

And also set it up so that everyone can has access on the share and advanced sharing, but I still asks me every time I try to access a file on for the admin username and password.

Have I set it up wrong or is there something that im missing?

Thanks for reading my post

Sean
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,040   +223

Well, I'm on Win/7 Pro 64bit and do not use Homegroup to access my iMac, Win98se file server or 2 variations of Linux.

* 1) of course, all must be in the same WORKGROUP
    * 2) XP/Pro SP2 has the LLTP service, but XP/SP1 needs to add it
    * 3) There are two forms of sharing:
    (a) Public anonymous​
    (b) Per User Sharing​
    Normal Simple File sharing will create (B) style and the remote will need the user/password for the directory being accessed.

Style (a) needs a special setup to access \\systemName\PublicShares shown here

However, I use style (b) to control who has access to what - - ie: if they don't know the user/password, then NUTS to them - - I can't trust'm.
  3. Sean Suttie

Sean Suttie Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks for getting back to me.

As it is all PCs are on the same workgroup and the windows xp PC is fully up to date.

I have had the same network setup before using 2 windows 7 PCs and I did not need a admin username and password to access shared files.

It worked like the old set up on windows xp networks e.g. I could fully access all files that were shared without any need for a admin username and password.
  4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,040   +223

Then the XP systems can share still with each other and it's only Win/7 - XP that is the issue.

IF you have Win/7 Pro, then you can use gpedit to set anonymous sharing.

Run > “gpedit.msc”
    In “Computer Configuration”/Windows Settings/Security Settings/Local Policies/Security Options:
    • Network access: Allow anonymous SID/name translation
    • Network access: Let Everyone permissions apply to anonymous users
    • Network access: Restrict anonymous access to Named Pipes and Shares
    • Network access: Do not allow anonymous enumeration of SAM accounts
    • Network access: Do not allow anonymous enumeration of SAM accounts and shares
    • Network access: Shares that can be accessed anonymously
    additionally where a Mac or Linux system needs access: Run> secpol.msc
    • Browsed to "Local Policies" -> "Security Options" changed entry for "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level" to "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated"

Reboot

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.