Windows 7 no sound after installing TV tuner

I recently reinstalled Windows 7 Ultimate (new motherboard, cpu). Everything was going great until I installed a TV tuner card and lost all sound.

I uninstalled the software and removed the card. I tried reinstalling the Realtek software (latest version) and checked every possible sound setting I can find. Also went through Microsoft help for sound but to no avail.

Any ideas? I know it is not the speakers since I tested them on another computer and they worked fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

what make/model computer do you have?

List any Problem Devices
  • Make sure devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so
Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)

Thank you for the reply.

It was clean as a whistle on the msinfo32 check.

I have attached the report as requested.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    29.7 KB · Views: 2
The report shows your Realtek drivers are installed OK. Have you tried changing your default Playback setting?. It's currently set to "Realtek HD Audio 2nd output". Try changing it to "Speakers".

Control Panel->Sound, click Audio tab and change default Playback setting. Hope this might help

Thank you but it did not work. I think it got onto the second output when I was trying different settings in an attempt to fix it.

The meter shows sound but of course nothing is coming out.

I assume this almost has to be a settings and not a hardware problem?

Getting to the point where I might try reinstalling the OS, although I really do not want to for obvious reasons.

I assume this almost has to be a settings and not a hardware problem?
I don't know.....

1. When you reinstalled Realtek, did try manually uninstalling Realtek first from Ctl Pnl->Programs and Features? If not, is worth a shot doing that first

2. For Win 7, when Realtek is uninstalled, even then i think you'd have Win 7 default sound drivers working to hear sound from speakers

Before a full reinstall, something you might try to test if a Windows vs. Hardware problem: Download and burn a Knoppix CD. Boot into Knoppix and test for sound when running Knoppix. If you get sound with Knoppix, it must be a Windows problem. If it still fails under Knoppix, it must be hardware

See step #2 in this guide See [post=766270]How to recover your folders/files when Windows won’t boot[/post]

I did do a manual uninstall if I remember correctly.

Going to have to hit the road today for a week so I will give your advice a shot when I get back.

Thank you.

I had the same problem. I am using creative 5.1 speakers and found I needed to move one of the 3.5mm jacks. For some reason the different OS used a different plug in pattern into my sound card.

Are you using on board of pci sound?

If on board, get the latest MB drivers rather than chipset ones. People have said this has worked for them...

I tried Knoppix but still was not getting any sound and then took the motherboard back to the store and exchanged it for a different one.

The sound is working now with a new motherboard and reinstall. Not 100% sure it was the motherboard though since the store did not test it. After I installed the new motherboard, I booted up once before reinstalling the OS and still was not getting any sound.

Of course, not getting sound before the reinstall might have been some driver problem since the mother board was not exactly the same.

Oh well. IT is working now. Thanks for the help.

Back