Windows 7 Problems

Steven Bene

As you may know from my other threads, have a 10 year old laptop that I restored. I put windows 7 on it and it was fine. Well, not to long ago it uninstalled almost every driver. My wireless networking driver is still installed, but my computer acts as if it isn't. So without wifi, how do I install all of my driver's without nuking it and reinstalling Windows? I have a new laptop that I can use to transfer drivers if I need to, but I do not have access to it until Monday July 25. I also have a code 10 on my nvidia nforce, which I believe is my Ethernet, correct me if I'm wrong, so I cant use that either. Any suggestions are appreciated.

First, need to know why 'uninstalled almost every driver'. Malware? Corrupted files(I.e., failing HDD or controller or memory)? Machine is 10 years old - did you feed it a brand new CMOS battery yet (new as in 3.2v or better when tested)?

http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01295900.pdf

Code 10 nVidia nForce is probably corrupt driver for your wireless - check device manager and note what it thinks it was - then hunt it up at nVidia - BUT wait until you have assured yourself that you have solved the initial MAJOR problem.

I have no clue why it did this, but I've spent hours trying to figure it out. I have replaced the battery. The one on the motherboard, right? It may be corrupted files, but I'm sure it is not malware. I had malware but replaced the hard drive and ram. It was fine until now. As for the code 10, I installed that to a computer and transfered it and installed it on my laptop. It still doesnt work. I have another of the same laptop for spare parts if I need them, including everything but the motherboard, which is bad on the one I use for parts. Thanks for the PDF, though I already had it.

Only way to be sure there is no malware is to be omniscient - and we ain't, so use several scanners.

Malware would make the problem easier, which is why we start there.

I imagine that you have given the machine a thorough cleaning and fresh thermal paste, so we won't go there (heat could scramble data).

Check SMART status of HDD and at the same time note the high temp.Any near exceptions for a new drive could be early notice of a lemon (and 1-3% or so are lemons).

If SMART is clean and heat within specs, RAM is next - overnight with memtest86.

While you are digging around, use Event Viewer to see what 'critical' events you have had.

If everything still checks out, I would download the test utility for the manufacturer of the HDD and run diagnostic.

Last gasp, poke around the hp website for diagnostic utility.

Keep good notes, pay attention to noises, lags, etc.

If nothing shows up, then I would do a low level format and a clean install (some others would suggest that you upgrade to Win10, but I don't know if your machine can do that.

Windows 10 specs are the same as windows 7, so it should be ok. I have a DariK's boot and nuke CD. One wipe should do it? I have a Windows 7 installation disk. It should work if my optical drive is working. If not I have an external USB optical drive.

I know there was malware before. I made a thread about it I think. You can read it if you want. I wiped the hard drive 7 times, but I guess it didn't do much. I will put in my spare healthy hard drive and ram. That should do it. Thanks.

Ok. Well, thanks for your help. At this point am not too concerned anymore because I replaced the hard drive and ram with healthy parts from an identical PC with a bad motherboard. It is fine, but if I decide to use the other hard drive, I'll do exactly what you said. Thanks.

Back