TechSpot

Windows 7 random freezing

By dman90
Aug 10, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hello everyone. =) Alright, so here's the problem. I had just recently re-formatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows 7. After re-formatting, my screen now randomly freezes. I can still move my mouse around, but I cant click on a single thing. The intervals that it happens in is totally random and sometimes it will freeze anywhere from a few secs to a few minutes and other times I have to restart. The computer is only a little over a year old and it is my first time every experiencing such an issue on this computer. Hope someone can help me out here. Thanks. *Please note that I have attached a DxDiag log below.

Attached Files:

2. Sharam

Sharam TS Rookie Posts: 509

I'm OFF in a minute or two but wanted to Welcom you to the Forums and ask:

You said you had no issues before the re-format so you didn't re-format due to a problem right?

Please post your system spec in detail minus the info in the DXDIAG so we can better help you.

good luck

3. dman90

dman90 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I had actually re-formatted due to a rootkit that I was unable to get rid off.

Code:
    Current OS: Windows 7 Home Premium
    Processor: AMD Athlon 7750 DualCore
    Memory: 40968MB
    VGA: ATI Radeon HD 4600
    Sound: Realtek HD Audio Device

4. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,680   +85

Please have a look at your event viewer logs, and see whether something is being recorded at the time of freezing.

5. Sharam

Sharam TS Rookie Posts: 509

Did you delete the partition/s?
    With every re-install to fix infection symptoms, I highly recommend to delete partition /s and create new ones, this way you get a fresh healthy MBR.

DXDIAG gives a lot of info but not make and model of some components such as RAM, if we need specific info, we would ask.

6. dman90

dman90 TS Rookie Topic Starter

@Sharam: Yes, I deleted the partition before re-installing windows.

@Archean: How would I go about doing that?

7. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,680   +85

Please go to Control Panel, then to Administrative Tools, and double click on Event Viewer, it will open all the available logs, i.e. applications log, system log etc. have a close look at them and try to locate entries which corresponds to time when your system freezes up.