TechSpot

Windows 7 Samsung computer will not ryecognize External HDD, "no media"

By emanresu11
May 10, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I recently purchased a 3TB External HDD for work and I cannot access it through "My Computer". Following is the situation:
    - Plugged in the SATA and recognized drive and downloaded most current drivers
    - Recognized by computer in "Disk Management" as the device is running properly
    - Attempted changing the drive letter with no resolution. I tried every letter change from F to Z.
    - Recognized in the "Disk Management" window, but has printed below it "No Media"
    - Attempted USB Clean Up but this didn't resolve the problem
    - Tried on a different Windows 7 computer with the same issue.
    - Trouble shot all of the cables and USB ports with no resolution.
    - Tried several different configurations for plugging, unplugging, restarting, etc with no resolution
    - Installed and ran most recent Windows Update
    - Went to product website with no resolution.

Please, if you have any suggestions or recommendations, please help. I do need this very much for work.
  2. alexe3831

alexe3831 TS Enthusiast Posts: 122

What Manufacturer and Model is the HDD? Also, on Windows 7, I believe the max partition size a computer can recognize is 1TB, so a suggestions is using Disk Management, seperate it into separate partitions of 750 gb or so, then just link them in a RAID configuration. This will allow Windows 7 to recognize it as a single drive, but will also allowed you to use the full 3TB of space.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.