Windows 7 shutting down during reformat

First off, I have a Dell Studio 17 running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Yesterday I tried running the reformat CD from Dell. I inserted the CD, restarted the computer, hit F12 to load the boot menu and chose the "CD/DVD/CD-RW" option. It went to the black screen that says "Windows is loading files..." The progress bar filled, at which point the CD stopped spinning and everything sat for about 2 minutes. At that point the computer shut itself off, and would not turn back on without me unplugging the AC adapter and removing the battery.

It still loads Windows fine, but I get the same scenario every time I try to run the system restore, either from the disc, or using the "F8"/hidden partition method. I called Dell tech support, who told me it was probably a faulty disc and they would send me another one in up to 3 business days.

The only other thing that has happened lately is the Wireless Network Adapter doesn't seem to be working properly. I will be connected to the internet fine for a few minutes at a time (usually 5-10) and then it will give me the exclamation point in the yellow triangle and when I hover my mouse over it, it just says, "Identifying..."

Any help would be great, as this has been incredibly frustrating.

Back