Windows 7 slow to unresponsive in normal boot mode

lthebmanl

HI!

I have tried to seek advice for this problem on other tech websites; however, nobody has been able to give me any advice on how to fix this problem besides reinstalling windows. There has to be a better way.

The problem occurred several weeks ago. I was watching a movie on my computer, per usual, and I fell asleep. When I woke I realized that my computer froze. I did a hard reset and when the computer restarted it was unresponsive. My cursor is constantly in an hour-glass and ctrl-alt-del doesn't work either.

I then booted in safe mode and the computer works fine. I noticed that several Windows updates had been installed that day so I uninstalled them. This didn't solve the issue. So I began disabling drivers in hopes that would fix it. This didn't work either. (I've since reinstalled those Windows updates)

I've tried disabling all microsoft services using msconfig. I've also performed a quick and extensive chkdsk. None of this worked.

There has to be a way to find out what the specific problem is. The computer works fine in safe mode... Something safe mode is preventing from starting up is the cause of the problem.

I'm convinced at this point that there must be some sort of malware or virus on my computer. It's the only thing it could be. The only thing that doesn't make sense is that I wasn't doing anything to the computer when the computer became unresponsive.

The only conclusion other tech forum members have reached is that a reinstall of windows is the only solution; however, I'm convinced that this issue is fixable.

I'm concerned the malware/virus wont be able to be removed from the computer as I'm unable to operate it in Normal Boot Mode. If removal of malware/viruses is possible in safe boot then there is hope.

Any help would be great! Thanks.

You should not be the one to mark a thread 'active'. That is only for Broni or I to do when we pick up the thread. Fortunately, I opened this to check.

There has to be a way to find out what the specific problem is. The computer works fine in safe mode... Something safe mode is preventing from starting up is the cause of the problem.

It appears that you are making the rounds of forums, doing some of what is suggested, refusing to accept the advice they give:
http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1720675

There appears to be a driver problem. Until the offending driver (which doesn't start on Safe mode but does in Normal Mode) is found and fixes, your problem won't be resolved.

I am having this thread moved to a more appropriate forum- perhaps they can assist with the driver problem if you follow their directions. It could be a corrupt driver or one that needs to be updated.

I note you are online now. Please stay subscribed. The thread will be moved and then reopened.

Back