TechSpot

Windows 7 tablet from Acer to use AMD's Z-Series APU

By Jos
Jun 9, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. AMD's recently announced Z-Series chips for tablets are getting a vote of confidence form Acer, according to DigiTimes. The Taiwanese computer maker has reportedly placed orders for 80,000 Z-01 APUs…

Read the whole story
  2. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Addict Posts: 632   +123

This may sound like a silly question, but why not make x64 processors for tablets. Working hard to get back to x86 just sounds like working backwards to me, when we should be moving forwards.
  3. Koof

Koof TS Rookie

x64 is and instruction set of x86 I believe. When people throw around x86 they're usually talking processors with x64.
  4. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,068   +39

...as far as i learned x86 means 32 bit.... and x64 means 64 bit. Please correct me if I am wrong.

At the moment there is no need for it, so of course manufacturers dont bother putting the money into it until later when these devices start getting to a standard of 4GBs of memory.
  5. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,068   +39

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.