TechSpot

Windows 7 TRIM on non-OS SSD?

By Dawn1113
Apr 19, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I apologize in advance for yet another noob question.

Will Windows 7 automatically implement TRIM on a non-OS SSD? My OS is installed in another SSD and I want to use the second one for a few apps to spread the load a little and minimize wear and tear. My controller is set to AHCI mode. Both drives support the trim function.

2. Dawn1113

Dawn1113 TS Booster Topic Starter Posts: 322   +64

Never mind. Apparently, it does. For fellow noobs who may be wondering, I just used an elevated command prompt to check the drive in question. Drive C is my OS drive. The second query checks whether the TRIM function is implemented on drive D, the second SSD. The returned value 0 means TRIM is enabled on both drives.

Well, at least, that is how I think it works. TRIM.jpg

3. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

Hah, that's quite an arcane way to verify TRIM is working. "DisableDeleteNotify" doesn't really mean much on its own nor have I ever used fsutil to verify TRIM, but it looks like it supports your hypothesis.

As far as I know, the only pre-requisite for TRIM support in Windows 7 is AHCI. I had never considered that it would *not* be enabled for secondary SSDs, but it's good that you have confirmed it is.

Dawn1113 likes this.
  4. Dawn1113

Arcane it is. I could find nothing about Windows 7 TRIM support for non-OS SSDs on the net. I suspect that is because no one has been silly enough to ask .:D

I should've figured that having the SATA controller set to AHCI will mean that all SSDs installed in a Windows 7 system will have TRIM enabled. Thank you for pointing that out as it does put my mind at ease -- finally.

5. Marnomancer

Marnomancer TS Booster Posts: 723   +51

To put your mind further at ease, refer to this book, page 250.
    P.s.: Before you ask, it's legal.

6. Dawn1113

Thanks, Marnomancer. I already have it. You provided me a link to a copy of this same book not too long ago in answer to a previous -- equally silly -- question about Windows 7 and disabling paging executive. :) The book has been very useful so I should thank you again for that. I neglected to check it this time.

Much obliged, guys.

7. Marnomancer

Marnomancer TS Booster Posts: 723   +51

Glad to be of service. :)
    Sharing knowledge only increases mine. A silly question is better than an unasked one. And TBH, no question is silly. The less experienced isn't always stupider. You once had pointed out something that I had missed out. Possible monitor fault? Yes.