Windows 7 TRIM on non-OS SSD?

Dawn1113

I apologize in advance for yet another noob question.

Will Windows 7 automatically implement TRIM on a non-OS SSD? My OS is installed in another SSD and I want to use the second one for a few apps to spread the load a little and minimize wear and tear. My controller is set to AHCI mode. Both drives support the trim function.

Never mind. Apparently, it does. For fellow noobs who may be wondering, I just used an elevated command prompt to check the drive in question. Drive C is my OS drive. The second query checks whether the TRIM function is implemented on drive D, the second SSD. The returned value 0 means TRIM is enabled on both drives.

Well, at least, that is how I think it works. TRIM.jpg

Never mind. Apparently, it does. For fellow noobs who may be wondering, I just used an elevated command prompt to check the drive in question. Drive C is my OS drive. The second query checks whether the TRIM function is implemented on drive D, the second SSD. The returned value 0 means TRIM is enabled on both drives.

Well, at least, that is how I think it works. View attachment 72520

Hah, that's quite an arcane way to verify TRIM is working. "DisableDeleteNotify" doesn't really mean much on its own nor have I ever used fsutil to verify TRIM, but it looks like it supports your hypothesis.

As far as I know, the only pre-requisite for TRIM support in Windows 7 is AHCI. I had never considered that it would *not* be enabled for secondary SSDs, but it's good that you have confirmed it is.

Arcane it is. I could find nothing about Windows 7 TRIM support for non-OS SSDs on the net. I suspect that is because no one has been silly enough to ask .:D

I should've figured that having the SATA controller set to AHCI will mean that all SSDs installed in a Windows 7 system will have TRIM enabled. Thank you for pointing that out as it does put my mind at ease -- finally.

Thanks, Marnomancer. I already have it. You provided me a link to a copy of this same book not too long ago in answer to a previous -- equally silly -- question about Windows 7 and disabling paging executive. :) The book has been very useful so I should thank you again for that. I neglected to check it this time.

Much obliged, guys.

Glad to be of service. :)
Sharing knowledge only increases mine. A silly question is better than an unasked one. And TBH, no question is silly. The less experienced isn't always stupider. You once had pointed out something that I had missed out. Possible monitor fault? Yes.

Back