Windows 7 update causing spontaneous power shut down?

Here's the story -- welcome input:

Brand new Sager NP8170 notebook. No problems out of the box. After circa one month, a spontaneous power off (SPO) occurs a few minutes after power up. No warning, just black screen, no power. Restarted in normal mode. A few seconds after Windows loads another SPO. Assuming virus (though AVG was installed within first few days), restart in safe mode and System Restore. Problem appears fixed. Update definitions/patches etc.

Next week, same thing happens. Takes a few days to figure out the pattern is a SPO only once, circa 2 mins after power up whether I leave it sit or open programs/internet/etc. Then after an immediate re-power up, works fine. Only thing that seems to complete fix the issue is a System Restore to an earlier date.

Timing caused me to rule out hardware, and I thought it was a virus issue for a while until I tested out not running Windows Update. Not running Windows update seemed to have stopped the SPO. So the SPO must be conflict based? List of updates are below. Any input is welcome.

Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2515417)
Download size: 12.4 MB

Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2494150), 32-Bit Edition
Download size: 9 KB

Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB2538242)
Download size: 2.6 MB

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2570791)
Download size: 1.1 MB

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2616676)
Download size: 65 KB

Windows Internet Explorer 9 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems
Download size: 36.7 MB

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - September 2011 (KB890830)
Download size: 3.9 MB

Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (KB2467173)
Download size: 8.6 MB

Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB2538243)
Download size: 4.3 MB

Here's a snapshot of the events. An error log followed by critical log of not cleanly shutting down from kernel-power

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 9/20/2011 6:51:14 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)

Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Log Name: System
Source: EventLog
Date: 9/20/2011 6:51:10 PM
Event ID: 6008
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic

Description:
The previous system shutdown at 6:50:45 PM on ‎9/‎20/‎2011 was unexpected.

I know you suspect otherwise, but that seems like a hardware issue to me. The OS doesn't look like its seeing anything wrong aside from the obvious, but nothing running in the OS is throwing errors before it happens.

While the reliable timing of the SPO's make me lean toward software, I am not going to rule out hardware.

This might go beyond the forum's bubble, but any suggestions of what hardware (beyond the battery connection) might be causing this problem? Thanks for you help!

With a brand-new laptop, surely your best approach is RTM ? Trying to solve it yourself could easily void your warranty.

same problen since last week

Hello i have the same problem. Like 2 minutes win7 on my toshiba is up and the power is off. No shutdown sequence just zero volts. I tried to use safe mode (which works ok) to set windows back to an earlier different point, but it didnt work. I think 2 that it has something to do with the last windows update a couple of days ago. Any suggestions so far?

Oh and it is the 64bit version too. And i found out that my harddisk is running periodically one second followed by a half second pause and second running again and so forth. Untill the power cuts off after 2to3 minutes

solved.

i deaktivated all drivers and it doesnt shut down anymore.
now im going to activate one by one and wait 10 minutes after restart to see which it was.

Back